STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 12813
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by Michael » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Here it is:



I have to admit, I'm excited about this!
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 am

I’m excited as well. However, I get more excitement for Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order. It seems to have its own qualifications as a movie as well as a trailer for a new game.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JM1776 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:32 am

I haven't been truly excited/hyped for a Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace. That movie broke Star Wars. It's never been the same since. It'll likely never recover.
And Rafa Nadal once again reignites the GOAT debate.

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 12813
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 pm

captainuniverse wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 am
However, I get more excitement for Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order.
I'm not a PC game player, but as far as the post Revenge of the Sith time period is concerned (which from my understanding is the era the game takes place in) see my comment below...

JM1776 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:32 am
I haven't been truly excited/hyped for a Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace. That movie broke Star Wars. It's never been the same since. It'll likely never recover.
For something which I think captures the sensibility of the original trilogy, I'd suggest checking out Star Wars: Rebels. It's smartly written for the most part, and I think does an excellent job of bridging Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
sirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 am
Location: In a van by the river, stealing your wi-fi

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by sirus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am

I am trying hard to not be pessimistic about this. The Last Jedi all but killed by excitement for Star Wars and even though there are some things I thought were cool in this teaser, it's not enough for me to care anymore. I feel like if they bring in Palpatine it will just cheapen Vader's death. I feel like, at this point, nothing they can do will make it feel right. You can't unscrew the pooch and they screwed the pooch hard with the last couple of movies, TLJ and Solo.

Rey is still a Mary Sue and that's not going to change. She hasn't struggled for the power she has, in fact, I can't say for sure what she's done to get good at it. She just is good at it. She seems to be the most powerful light side user we've ever seen and it just seems like she is that because she has always been that.

This isn't a Return of the Jedi kind of thing, this isn't them returning to a story I have been waiting with bated breath for. This isn't a Revenge of the Sith kind of thing, where I needed to see how Anakin became Vader. This is a closure to a series that has been around since before I was born and looks like it won't last even a handful more years.

Yes, this movie will make money, the fans will come out and see it. But I kind of expect it to do exactly what TLJ did, open strong and quickly fall off. JJ needs to hit a home run with this. He needs this to be the best in the franchise to win back those who were lost by TLJ. And I think we all know that JJ can't do it. He doesn't have the writing chops to do it. At best he's a good director, at worst he is one of the most frustrating screenwriters out there today.

Star Wars is all but dead, I fear this movie will kill it more because there are people who will not give it a chance. I do plan to see it in theaters, I just don't plan to go opening day...
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JM1776 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 am

sirus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am
This ... isn't them returning to a story I have been waiting with bated breath for.
Thank you for spelling "bated" correctly.
And Rafa Nadal once again reignites the GOAT debate.

User avatar
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JaceRidley » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:22 pm

sirus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am
I am trying hard to not be pessimistic about this.
....uh huh. :roll:
The Last Jedi all but killed by excitement for Star Wars and even though there are some things I thought were cool in this teaser, it's not enough for me to care anymore. I feel like if they bring in Palpatine it will just cheapen Vader's death. I feel like, at this point, nothing they can do will make it feel right. You can't unscrew the pooch and they screwed the pooch hard with the last couple of movies, TLJ and Solo.
TLJ was an excellent movie and Solo was a good movie with bad marketing. But...sure.
Rey is still a Mary Sue and that's not going to change.
So was Anakin. So was Luke.
She hasn't struggled for the power she has, in fact, I can't say for sure what she's done to get good at it. She just is good at it.
Neither did Anakin. Neither did Luke. Both were naturally gifted. That's... kinda the point of the phrase "The Force is STRONG with you..."
She seems to be the most powerful light side user we've ever seen and it just seems like she is that because she has always been that.
This is a gross exaggeration.
Yes, this movie will make money, the fans will come out and see it. But I kind of expect it to do exactly what TLJ did, open strong and quickly fall off.
The Last Jedi made 1.321 billion dollars worldwide and made nearly HALF of that in the first three weeks. It's the second highest grossing Star Wars film of all time behind ONLY The Force Awakens which it never had a shot to beat due to all the years of build up. It didn't quickly fall off. It raked in money. Because it was a good film.
JJ needs to hit a home run with this. He needs this to be the best in the franchise to win back those who were lost by TLJ.
No he doesn't. Because truthfully? They don't care if you come back. The new films have made NEW fans. Fans that don't whine and complain when things aren't exactly how they wanted them. Who don't cry "MARY SUE!" not realizing that Mary Sues have been the focus of Star Wars since it was invented. Fans that appreciate Star Wars and not just their idea of what Star Wars SHOULD be based on a narrow view based on nothing.
And I think we all know that JJ can't do it. He doesn't have the writing chops to do it.
Please... don't ever criticize anyone else's writing chops. Abrams is out there making movies, writing movies, producing movies, and he HAS been for about 30 years.
Star Wars is all but dead...
Which is, of course, why there's another trilogy being developed, a secondary set of movies set in the Old Republic being developed, Live Action TV shows currently being filmed, a new season of Clone Wars coming out, new video games coming out, etc.

Yeah.... definitely on it's last limbs. :roll:
I fear this movie will kill it more because there are people who will not give it a chance.


Of course they will. They'll all be there. And just like The Last Jedi, they'll go home, bitch about it online.... and then go see it three more times. And they will do it with the next movie. And the one after that. And they will watch the shows. And play the games. And NEW fans will be made who aren't bound by these ridiculous notions of what Star Wars SHOULD be based on ridiculous bullshit that doesn't matter, or have a hissy fit when the story doesn't go exactly how they want...
I do plan to see it in theaters, I just don't plan to go opening day...
Proving my point for me.

User avatar
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JaceRidley » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm

The teaser looks incredible. I'm excited for Billy Dee to return, to see the resolution of the character arc for Kylo Ren, to see what part both Luke and Palpatine play in the movie... to see the end of the Skywalker arc. Should be one hell of a ride...

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 12813
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 am

I have watched the trailer several more times, and each time I get more excited about it.

I didn't like The Last Jedi that much the first time I saw it. It just didn't resonate with me. I also wasn't a big fan of The Force Awakens but for completely different reasons. To me, The Force Awakens matching plot points to those in A New Hope got tiresome after a while, and really detracted from my enjoyment of the movie. The Last Jedi however, just didn't work as a Star Wars film for me the first time. Also, Luke seemed out of character to me. From what I have heard, Mark Hamill evidently had the same feeling about Luke.

However, I watched The Last Jedi again tonight, and found I enjoyed it more, and some of the things which bothered me before, didn't as much this time. There still is an essential tone and feel to the movie which rubs me the wrong way. But I have to admit I like it more now. I'll be curious to see if my enjoyment increases each time I see it in the future.
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JaceRidley » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 pm

Michael wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 am
I also wasn't a big fan of The Force Awakens but for completely different reasons. To me, The Force Awakens matching plot points to those in A New Hope got tiresome after a while, and really detracted from my enjoyment of the movie.
That was, however, the point though. The idea that this was a cycle and would repeat until broken...which finally happens in The Last Jedi. Completely. We saw the same basic character arc for Anakin in the Phantom Menace, if you think about it. All the same real story beats.
The Last Jedi however, just didn't work as a Star Wars film for me the first time.
I've heard this before, but I can't help but wonder exactly what that means. "Didn't work as a Star Wars film." What IS a Star Wars film? And the fact that it was different was probably a GOOD thing in terms of pure storytelling. I really enjoyed it, personally.
Also, Luke seemed out of character to me. From what I have heard, Mark Hamill evidently had the same feeling about Luke.
He said he completely disagreed with every decision at first but now he fully understands and more deeply appreciates what Rian did.
However, I watched The Last Jedi again tonight, and found I enjoyed it more, and some of the things which bothered me before, didn't as much this time. There still is an essential tone and feel to the movie which rubs me the wrong way. But I have to admit I like it more now. I'll be curious to see if my enjoyment increases each time I see it in the future.
I've heard people say this too, who went in to it new and hated it, then watched it again and liked it more. I feel like that's good too.

Either way I cannot wait for this, I can't wait for The Mandalorian, I can't wait wait for Fallen Order. More Star Wars is a good thing insofar as I'm concerned.

User avatar
sirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 am
Location: In a van by the river, stealing your wi-fi

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by sirus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:40 am

It often amazes me how little you "get it," Jace. I mean people say things and you reject them. You don't have any understanding of the complaints, as seen by your responses. If Luke is a Mary Sue then you clearly have no clue what a Mary Sue even is. You seem to use definitions that no one else uses and it makes conversation impossible. You claim you blocked me and then you directly quote me. It's petty and stupid and I have no interest in entering another argument with you, about anything. You are not worth the effort to disprove all of your points.

Onto the topic at hand, yeah, I can see why this would hype people up. To be honest, I feel the urge to get hyped by it, but the thing is I don't trust them. Not after Solo and especially not after The Last Jedi. They screwed the pooch and it's not really possible to unf*ck the dog. This movie could be good, but the damage has already been done. This movie has to be so good it brings the fandom back together and I don't see that as possible. Even if it had everything I wanted in it, it would be incomplete as for me, and those like me, the sequel trilogy has been a disappointment ever since the first movie in it, The Force Awakens, came out.

It's not nostalgia I'm looking for. It's good stories with no wasted scenes. TLJ had an entire arc in the story that amounted to nothing. It's like the series has no clue what to do with Rey. She doesn't struggle, she is not beat down. Luke was destroyed, both physically and emotionally before his big scene in Return of the Jedi. And even then he was not powerful enough to do anything more than stand on principle. It was Vader, now, at last, seeing what the Dark Side has done, turning from it. It was Vader rejecting the figure who had led them to that place that made all the difference.

It's why Luke can't be a Mary Sue. Because he falls and goes through trials. And even in his moment of triumph, it is not him beats the bad guy. Rey has had nothing for struggle. She has never even been beaten in any of the fights she has been in. And with no stakes, it's hard to care.

And now that they are bringing Palpatine back, at least that is what it seems to be they are doing, it feels like it cheapens the moment when Vader made that decision. Because it did not defeat evil, it only seems to have delayed it.

And now with all of the old guard gone, Leia was never one of the old guards in terms of using the force, it looks like it is only the new characters. Characters I do not find compelling. I don't care if the bring Lando back. I would have liked a scene with him talking to Han or flirting with Leia and her giving him that look. But Han is dead and they won't have much Leia given what happened to Carrie Fisher.

This movie cannot be what I want it to be. It cannot be what so many fans who walked away need it to be to come back into the fold.

And people who act like nothing is wrong, act as if the new movies are fine the way they are and not causing problems. Blame it on what you will, but the fandom is broken. The hype for this movie is the lowest I've ever seen Star Wars movie hype. This is episode 9, the end of the Skywalker saga. This is the big one, and it seems like not that many can get up the energy to care. I know some will. Some actually enjoy these films and to them, I wish all the best. But I think they would have enjoyed a better-constructed movie more. I think a better-constructed movie would have done a lot better. And if they had laid the groundwork right for this new trilogy we might have gotten it. But as it is, those in charge failed Star Wars and failed the fans.

At this point, I might not even bother to see it in the theater, or at all. I don't need to give the smug satisfaction that I did go to anyone, and I really don't need this movie in my life. I quit watching Star Trek Discovery for the same reasons. I am tired of people getting some sick satisfaction by the fact I am actually watching this shit.

At this point, if the people who think these movies are the future of Star Wars want the franchise, they can have it. Star Wars, much like Star Trek, is officially dead to me. Dead more like the sense Latin is dead, but we still use it. I will keep doing what I have always done, but I don't need to include new additions to the franchises as part of my canon. I don't need to let them count.

And that really is all I have to say about that.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JM1776 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 am

They screwed the pooch and it's not really possible to unf*ck the dog.
The inherent vulgarity of these phrases hurts your credibility, in particular when they're regularly employed.

I suggest you refrain from using them nearly as much in the future.
And Rafa Nadal once again reignites the GOAT debate.

User avatar
sirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 am
Location: In a van by the river, stealing your wi-fi

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by sirus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 am

JM1776 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 am
They screwed the pooch and it's not really possible to unf*ck the dog.
The inherent vulgarity of these phrases hurts your credibility, in particular when they're regularly employed.

I suggest you refrain from using them nearly as much in the future.
I will politely, yet firmly, disagree at that point. I believe vulgar language can be used for a purpose and in this case, it is to make the point clear that a negative deed was done and cannot be undone. Without the offensive word, it loses some of its punch. I can see why it might bother some, but I feel it adds to the point and does not subtract from it.

Perhaps the point could be made in less of a vulgar manner, but to quote the best Starfleet captain "No one pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word."
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JM1776 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:21 pm

You are presuming a level of skill that permits you the employment of vulgarity to positive effect.

Noted.
And Rafa Nadal once again reignites the GOAT debate.

User avatar
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by JaceRidley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm

sirus wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:40 am
It often amazes me how little you "get it," Jace. I mean people say things and you reject them.
It's true. I do often reject pure nonsense. Even moreso when it comes out of the mouths of the ignorant.
You don't have any understanding of the complaints...
Sure I do. And they are demonstrably gatekeeping nonsense...
If Luke is a Mary Sue then you clearly have no clue what a Mary Sue even is.
I would submit that, of the two of us... I'm the one who actually knows how to write my way out of a proverbial paper bag and actually knows what I'm doing with the English language, where you're still grasping and need others to copy edit your work. I'll not even debate with you which of us is more informed about literary terminology, literature itself, or anything resembling the ability to write.

Stay in your lane.
You seem to use definitions that no one else uses...
Hyperbole. Definitions YOU won't recognize don't make them definitions no one else uses.
You claim you blocked me and then you directly quote me.
I did block you. And then I UNblocked you because you went too far, necessitating a(very welcome) rule change here, and I wasn't giving you that kind of breathing room. Live with it.
It's petty and stupid and I have no interest in entering another argument with you, about anything. You are not worth the effort to disprove all of your points.
Let's translate that: "I CANNOT refute your points, so I will simply pretend I'm walking away from even bothering despite spending the last paragraph and change attempting to do just that..."

Sorry kid. I'm sure someone out there buys your bullshit, your bravado and your faux intellectualism. It just isn't me.
They screwed the pooch and it's not really possible to unf*ck the dog.


You have a really weird obsession with this phrase. Introspection might be helpful.
It's like the series has no clue what to do with Rey. She doesn't struggle, she is not beat down.
She doesn't need to be beat down to struggle. She spent her entire childhood and young adulthood beat down and struggling. Abandoned. Having to fend for herself. Learning to survive. Learning to do what was necessary just to LIVE. But you want to see her struggle more. Why? Because Luke had to have his hand cut off? Because Anakin did?

Odd. Last I checked, people were complaining about the constant parallels. And then they complain when they change it up. Seems to me...people just want to complain. I wonder what's actually different? Oh wait, no I don't. We already know.
Luke was destroyed, both physically and emotionally before his big scene in Return of the Jedi. And even then he was not powerful enough to do anything more than stand on principle. It was Vader, now, at last, seeing what the Dark Side has done, turning from it. It was Vader rejecting the figure who had led them to that place that made all the difference.
It was Luke, trying to bring his father back. Luke damned well if he embraced the power in front of him, he could easily defeat Vader and the Emperor. So did Vader. It's why Vader plead with him to join him.

You should really try reading the books some time.
It's why Luke can't be a Mary Sue. Because he falls and goes through trials. And even in his moment of triumph, it is not him beats the bad guy.
You think a Mary Sue can't.... make mistakes? Can't fail?

And yet you are among those claim Michael Burnham is one. Interesting. Hypocrisy is a funny thing.

Mary Sues can absolutely fail. Can make mistakes. Can commit grievous sins that cost lives. Mary sues are not categorized as mary sues by their inability to fail or commit error. They are "mary sues" because they show innate ability to be better at things than they should be, given their training or experience. Like Luke Skywalker.... a country moisture farmboy from the outer rim storming the Death Star to rescue a Princess and being able to shoot better than trained soldiers. Or destroy a Death Star and Fly an X-Wing and pick up the Lightsaber Techniques and Force abilities generally only taught to children over YEARS in a training facility in a couple weeks... in a swamp.
Rey has had nothing for struggle.
Except for her entire freakin' life prior to The Force Awakens, that is.
She has never even been beaten in any of the fights she has been in.
She was captured at Maz Kanata's.
And with no stakes, it's hard to care.
I'm sorry, are you really naive enough to think that there are EVER any stakes in this? That the dark side is actually going to win in the End? This is Star Wars. It's a movie. Not a boxing match. In the end, Rey's gonna win. The resistance is gonna win, somehow. If that's a spoiler to you... well gosh. I really have no idea what to tell you.
This movie cannot be what I want it to be. It cannot be what so many fans who walked away need it to be to come back into the fold.
Then they'll be replaced with new fans who don't act like spoiled children when the stories didn't work out exactly like they wanted them to.
And people who act like nothing is wrong, act as if the new movies are fine the way they are and not causing problems.
They are fine the way they are. And if some people don't like them, they'll just have to live with it or stop watching. That's their choice. But that isn't what's happening. Instead, these "fans" are acting exactly like spoiled children and don't want anyone else to enjoy it since they aren't. And the gatekeeping is getting old. Don't like it? Go. No need to announce your departure from the fandom. You won't be missed.
At this point, I might not even bother to see it in the theater, or at all. I don't need to give the smug satisfaction that I did go to anyone, and I really don't need this movie in my life.
Nah you just need to complain endlessly about it, like everything else you don't like.
I quit watching Star Trek Discovery for the same reasons. I am tired of people getting some sick satisfaction by the fact I am actually watching this shit.
Your loss. The show just keeps getting better, but hey, why let a little thing like the truth get in the way of your prejudice, amirite?
At this point, if the people who think these movies are the future of Star Wars want the franchise, they can have it. Star Wars, much like Star Trek, is officially dead to me.
:roll:
I will keep doing what I have always done....

I mean... Must you?
but I don't need to include new additions to the franchises as part of my canon. I don't need to let them count.
No one except you cares about your personal canon. Stop acting otherwise.
And that really is all I have to say about that.
A dozen poorly constructed paragraphs later.

Post Reply