Who is your favorite super-hero, and why?

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Who is your favorite super-hero, and why?

Post by JM1776 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Feel free to expound at length.

I suggest you stick to Marvel and DC, since others are not universal enough to resonate with everyone.

I'll eventually weigh in, but ... I don't think my favorite will be particularly a surprise to anyone.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Re: Who is your favorite super-hero, and why?

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:33 am

I like Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three.

I like the Asgardian background. I don't know much about Norse Gods. A flaw I hope to immediately correct but I love the stoires behind their origins and how well they've been integrated into the Marvel Universe. Part of that interest made me finally sit down and watch Season One of The Vikings.

I'm also a fan of Captain Universe but I'm not up to the latest information at the moment.

In DC, I liked the Green Lantern Corps in the past. Who doesn't respect power? But their mystique faded for me over time. My favorite DC hero is ....

Well, I don't have one at the moment. I haven't read many DC comics lately. I must admit that I've become more involved with reading, when I can, Marvel Comics. I should reassess that decision at my next opportunity.

- Cap
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 am

Mister Fantastic (Reed Richards) because while being a superhero, he's a scientist who uses his mind more than his muscle to solve problems, and he leads the coolest superhero team ever--- The Fantastic Four. :)

A close runner up would be Adam Warlock.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Superman.

he can rule the world and he's not even tempted....he doesn't care to.

that's awesome.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Ambie, I think that's the single most profound thing I've ever heard you say.

That's why I love Supes too.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:12 am

Batman is cool. I like him.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm

ambessalion wrote:Superman.

that's awesome.
You make him sound like a slacker lol.

"I could rule the world... really I could. I'm not boasting. No false bravado. I could literally rule the world. But I don't care to... I got my tv, Family Feud is on...and the chick in the apartment across the hall like to vacuum in the buff and she leaves her curtains open... not that I need them open with my Xray eyes...""

;)

When I was growing up reading comics, my favorite was Thor. Because I guess I liked the Asgard tales and the conflict with Loki & the Sorceress. And Jane Foster. Don Blake was kinda lame... pun intended...

BTW I recently saw Man of Steel on cable... and it wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it would be. Glad I waited for cable, but it was so much better than that remake flick with Brandon Rousch (sp?) which pretty much killed any interest I might have had in going to see anymore Superman movies in a multiplex theater.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:29 pm

collierctr wrote:
ambessalion wrote:Superman.

that's awesome.
You make him sound like a slacker lol.

"I could rule the world... really I could. I'm not boasting. No false bravado. I could literally rule the world. But I don't care to... I got my tv, Family Feud is on...and the chick in the apartment across the hall like to vacuum in the buff and she leaves her curtains open... not that I need them open with my Xray eyes...""
lol....it's not even that, though if supes was based on keanu reeves or beevis or butthead it would be.

say for example lex luthor was kryptonian, he would take over in a heartbeat. and so would many other characters...heck, i'm sure batman would too. but superman is just too humble and nice to dominate the world.
KahlessOfVulcan wrote:Ambie, I think that's the single most profound thing I've ever heard you say.

That's why I love Supes too.
i know i'm amazing....no need to rub it in :)
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Mine is Squirrel Girl. She beat Doom. And Thanos. No joke.

Actually I have a hard time picking a favorite. It depends on what comics I've been reading lately...right now I think it's a tie between Superman and Spider-Man. (Squirrel Girl's not actually in the running, although she really did defeat Doom and Thanos.)
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18 pm

KahlessOfVulcan wrote:Mine is Squirrel Girl. She beat Doom. And Thanos. No joke.

Actually I have a hard time picking a favorite. It depends on what comics I've been reading lately...right now I think it's a tie between Superman and Spider-Man. (Squirrel Girl's not actually in the running, although she really did defeat Doom and Thanos.)
Of course, the Thanos fan-boys try to retcon every one of his defeats they can. Thor whipped him a while ago, so they promptly declared it a a clone. Now his clones are evidently so perfect they can even fool cosmic beings, so ... evidently such invalidates Squirrel Girl's victory, because she supposedly defeated a clone.

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 pm

And what about Doom? Just another Doom-bot? I honestly don't recall the details of their encounter.

I'd say more, but I don't want to turn your thread into a discussion on Squirrel Girl. Well, maybe I do just a little, but I doubt you do.

As for the Why of my two favorites, Ambie basically summed up my feelings on Superman. I like Spider-Man for essentially the same reasons - he's a good guy because he wants to be. Putting that mask on has made his life a living hell, and yet he keeps going. Why? Because helping people is the right thing to do.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 pm

To me, Spider-Man was always more real than either Superman or Batman, who are absurdly powerful and filthy rich, respectively. He had real problems.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 am

Spider-Man has always been a favorite of mine.

"Geronimo!"

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:31 pm

You will all laugh. When I was young enough to be reading my first comics my favorite was Legion of Superheroes (DC) and my very favorite hero was Bouncing Boy.

Yes... the guy whose power was bouncing. I guess it was simply that he was a very 'regular' guy, a bit dorky, not at all impressed with his own power, but dang it, he 'was' pretty intelligent in an everyday kind of way and always did his best, even if he never thought his best was all that amazing. He was a wonderful friend, a nice guy, and loyal beyond what he often should have been.

Very underrated. I guess that's a thing for me.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54 am

Quoshara wrote:...my very favorite hero was Bouncing Boy ... he was a very 'regular' guy ... and always did his best, even if he never thought his best was all that amazing. He was a wonderful friend, a nice guy, and loyal beyond what he often should have been.

Very underrated. I guess that's a thing for me.
In other words, you like him for the same reason so many like Spider-Man: He's an ordinary person thrust into extraordinary circumstances, and did his very best to be a hero, friend and person.

No laughter from this quarter.

At least you didn't say Matter Eater Lad. :JD