Who is your favorite super-hero, and why?

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
BULLITT
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Re: Who is your favorite super-hero, and why?

Post by BULLITT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Superman.

Selfless in a selfish world.

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:24 pm

wonder-woman-sexy-13 copy copy copy.jpg
WONDER WOMAN :]1
She is a symbol of love, strength and hope for all. \:/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:22 pm

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
wonder-woman-sexy-13 copy copy copy.jpg
WONDER WOMAN :]1
She is a symbol of love, strength and hope for all. \:/
Just ... no.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 am

Artemis.

She is an Amazon of Wonder Woman's island Themiscera and chosen to become the titular character for one short series of comics. She has no powers but is given a few with the Wonder Woman costume. She is more tangible than the loveable and strong Wonder Woman (who comes in a close second). Also, she struggles much more with her less-than-perfect side. Heroes who have only few things to struggle about, such as Superman, just don't ring the right way with me.

By the way, Joe, I find it deeply appalling you find it accepteable to ask about someone's favorite and then shoot someone down who offers an opinion you don't like. Exceptionally rude and disinclining to anyone who is willing to put themselves out there.
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:34 pm

RIP wrote:By the way, Joe, I find it deeply appalling you find it acceptable to ask about someone's favorite and then shoot someone down who offers an opinion you don't like. Exceptionally rude and disinclining to anyone who is willing to put themselves out there.
You have misinterpreted my post. Perhaps I should have included a smiley.

I was actually commenting, and meant it jokingly, only about An-Gel Sakura as Wonder Woman in a visual sense, not someone's choice of Wonder Woman as their favorite hero(ine). (The characters don't exactly mesh in my mind's eye, and that's about what I was commenting, not An-Gel's taste in heroes.)

In point of fact, Wonder Woman's in my top five as well. I've always thought she was bad-ass and an amazing example of what a strong woman could be. Her moral center and warrior spirit appeal as well.

For me, it's:
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Spider-Man
  • Wonder Woman
  • Silver Surfer
Oh, and ... I love the Artemis character as well.

Rather than assuming ill intent, perhaps you should consider asking for clarification next time. It's inappropriate for a moderator, who should be the quintessence of ... ahem ... moderation ... to call someone out in the fashion you did.

Stop assuming that I'm the person you knew years ago. I'm a much better version of myself now, and have no tolerance for people making me do time for an attitude that's long been put to rest. Considering the conversations we've had most recently, I would have thought you would have at least inquired before opening fire.

Now unless you have something further of relevance, let us return to the topic at hand. And next time, if you have an issue with me, considering taking it up in PM. We could have avoided any unpleasantness.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 pm

I will act exactly as I please. I will not be condescended upon.

As for my perception, that is mine to have and state if I so chose - as long as I am respectful. If you truely feel wronged, take it up with Michael.

If indeed I have misinterpreted then I suggest a clearer way of expressing yourself.

Back on topic.

Of the five heroes you list four are indifferent to me. Mostly because I know almost nothing about them, really. I have always been more of a DC reader than Marvel (Silver Surfer is Marvel, right?). The current surge of Marvel movies has actually put me off delving deeper into the universe simply because I find them formulaic, much too long and bulding on a setting that demands of me to keep up with too much material. That being said it has been quite a while since I have actually bought any comics at all. I simply have had neither time nor energy nor money to spend on this particular pasttime. The comics have probably changed a lot since I stopped reading.

Going away from either publisher there are two more characters whose stories I have thoroughly enjoyed: Painkiller Jane and SHI. The latter hasn't aged too well in my personal perception going from revengeful noble warrior more towards chick who just needs to get her priorities straight. Painkiller Jane is very gritty and sarcastic hero whose strengths and weaknesses find a good balance. A hero who does what needs to be done but pays a painful price rings very much true to me. If I remember correctly they were published by Infinity comics.
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:16 pm

RIP wrote:I will act exactly as I please. I will not be condescended upon.
It's beneath my dignity to condescend to you ... or anyone else, for that matter. I have no desire to insult or denigrate, but I shall not allow an attack upon me to go unchallenged—especially when the attacker, rather than altering their attitude, instead doubles down.

Note, though, that I have no intention of being drawn into the type of dispute I once engaged in regularly.

And thank you. I already have taken it up with Michael. He can feel free to examine our exchange and share my PM(s) to him with you, if he deems it appropriate and necessary.
As for my perception, that is mine to have and state if I so chose—as long as I am respectful. If you truly feel wronged, take it up with Michael.
And since you were not respectful either in tone or appropriateness of response, I'll press the issue, in PM.
If indeed I have misinterpreted then I suggest a clearer way of expressing yourself.
"If" is not applicable. You have misinterpreted, and unless you're presuming to call me a liar, you'll now take my word for it.

I already mentioned that I should have employed a smiley. Did you miss that point in my above post?

Let us allow Michael to handle this, and stay on topic from this point forward.
The current surge of Marvel movies has actually put me off delving deeper into the universe simply because I find them formulaic, much too long and building on a setting that demands of me to keep up with too much material.
If the formula is effective, "formulaic" is not a disparagement ... and the Marvel formula is eminently effective, in my opinion. I have yet to see a DC release—with the exceptions of The Dark Knight and Wonder Woman, both of which are excellent films—that matches even the run-of-the-mill MCU film ... and a handful of them, in particular Captain America: The Winter Soldier, surpass anything DC's done insofar as entertainment value.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 pm

@ Marvel movies: to each their own. It is simply not for me. There are formulas that work for me and those that don't. This formula doesn't. Boys' club superheroes beating up cgi creatures quipping about things that happened three movies ago doesn't entertain me. I don't care about the characters because they will never die (or even be noteably injured) and their struggles are irrelevant. They will simply have the exact same struggles in the next movie.

This is - by the way - the biggest problem I had with Justice League. They went easier on the quipping and universe building but made up to it with an awfully forgetteable cgi villain with a terrible plan.

I cannot comment on the comics - as stated before.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:27 pm

RIP wrote:...superheroes beating up cgi creatures quipping about things ... doesn't entertain me.
Hmm. I submit, then, that perhaps you do not enjoy the genre, because a goodly portion of it is the above, and always will be.
I don't care about the characters because they will never die (or even be notably injured) and their struggles are irrelevant.
Spoiler:
Thor lost his hammer, his father and his right eye in Thor: Ragnarok. That's a single film that refutes your above statement.
They're speculating that as many as three super-heroes will die in Avengers: Infinity War, which opens next week.

We'll see if that occurs, or whether they back off and let everyone survive.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:50 pm

RIP & Joe,

Thank you for keeping things civil with your disagreement, and returning to topic.

I shall address the issue in PMs to you both.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

At the point of the well-chosen spoiler alert I have long given up on this franchise. Frankly spoken, I don't care about that particular hero in this branch of the franchise because I care neither for his struggles nor his person. If you were to ask me who he even was, I could rattle off a few facts like his hammer thing or god status. If you were to ask me about his personality... erm... I saw the first Thor movie and remember him being arrogant. Can't for the life of me tell, you what that film was about. Same goes for the rest of the Avengers. Captain America pops into mind as generic goody-two-shoes. Iron Man as rich and arrogant. Can't even remember the chick or the bow guy enough to put a name to the character.

My point isn't that Marvel is inherently bad or unwatcheable. It's that it doesn't resonate with me at all, mostly because solely based on the movies I have no emotional connection with any of the characters or stories. This also applies to Cyborg or Aquaman in Justice League, with the exception that I have previous stories about them in mind which do indeed give me at least a hint of who they are supposed to be. At least for Aquaman. It is my firm belief that if an ensemble becomes too large, the individual characters will suffer in terms of depth and dimension. And with Marvel movies, the constant need to tie everything in to each other - asking me to keep track - is just not giving me the worry-free entertainment I want.

Plus, it really doesn't help that these ensembles tend to be about as diverse as a box of plajn bagels. It's mostly white men at the peak of their physical form, 20-50 years old with a token woman or ethnic person tossed in. With the recent rise of female-led movies I have finally begun to understand just how important it is to see someone of your own gender or ethnicity or other implication of diversity if you are to be immersed in a story. Sure you can project to a certain extent but honestly? I don't want to have to idemtify with the hardly-in-the-movie token chick or the buff blonde sexy dude. They are either unimportant to the story or a pretty spiffy reflection of what I find to be troublesome about our society.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 pm

RIP wrote:Frankly spoken, I don't care about that particular hero in this branch of the franchise because I care neither for his struggles nor his person.
You can't help what you enjoy ... or, rather, don't.
My point isn't that Marvel is inherently bad or unwatchable. It's that it doesn't resonate with me at all, mostly because solely based on the movies I have no emotional connection with any of the characters or stories.
I would imagine four decades of comic reading has somewhat solidified my connection to them.
With the recent rise of female-led movies I have finally begun to understand just how important it is to see someone of your own gender or ethnicity or other implication of diversity if you are to be immersed in a story.
Hmm. I have never found it difficult to identify with a character whose sex, color or creed differed from my own. Of course, I cannot speak to a woman's struggles as relate to this issue. I certainly welcome heroes of any shape, size, sex, creed, or color.

I've always loved Captain America, for example, specifically because he's not Captain United States, but Captain America, living up to the ideals of this nation even though we so seldom do it ourselves.

You might find this interesting: In the Marvel Super Heroes game I ran, Captain America found himself sharing the name with a super-powered woman whose first code-name had been Liberty Belle. (I didn't know about the DC character at the time, and thought myself quite clever.) She wore the uniform and wielded the shield six months of the year, while Steve did so for the other six. He supported, encouraged, trained and mentored her. In my opinion, that's exactly what Captain America would do.

Will you watch Captain Marvel when it comes out? Bree Larson has the lead.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Jeez... 4 decades? I gotta revisit my image of you as a spry young fella and upgrade to a lovingly teasing old fart :D

In long conversations with friends I have come to the conclusion that men gernerally fall in two categories regarding the male/female lead issue. Either they throw a tantrum because they feel something is taken from them or they try to immerse - for once. Those that try to immerse tell me that they found it easy because most of the time there is atleast one male character they can relate to.

My female friends tend to adore female-lead movies. When i screened mad Max: Fury Road for several women ages 35 -65 they agreed that they finally understood what their respective significant other likes about action movies. Obviously I would not screen something like Elektra or Halle Berry's Catwoman for them because these women are sexualized in a way they - and I - would have serious trouble identifying with.

It is well possible my view on this matter is somewhat skewed though. This, of course, stems from my own personal experience comparing percieved priviledge of others with my own lack thereof.

Since I have been starved for any kind of tabletop RPG I would probably hop on and take a look at least. These days it has become taxing to find a group if I don't want to GM myself.

I have not kept up with upcoming Marvel movies. I find the oncoming hype of these things deeply annoying (same goes for other hyped franchises like GoT or Strange Things) and am therefore not aware of the title. I also have no idea who Captain Marvel is so if I get around to it then probably because the Marvel fan in our group really wants me to screen it. He will probably go see it in the cinema and buy the dvd, but we recently invested in home theater equipment (after the TV pooped out) that is SO much nicer than his Plasma. If he has time. He has much better chances if he brings Deadpool 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 pm

RIP wrote:Jeez... 4 decades? I gotta revisit my image of you as a spry young fella and upgrade to a lovingly teasing old fart :D
I am 51.
In long conversations with friends I have come to the conclusion that men gernerally fall in two categories regarding the male/female lead issue. Either they throw a tantrum because they feel something is taken from them or they try to immerse - for once. Those that try to immerse tell me that they found it easy because most of the time there is atleast one male character they can relate to.
I don't need a male character to relate to. Insofar as I know, both men and women are people. I can relate to people.
My female friends tend to adore female-lead movies. When i screened mad Max: Fury Road for several women ages 35 -65 they agreed that they finally understood what their respective significant other likes about action movies. Obviously I would not screen something like Elektra or Halle Berry's Catwoman for them because these women are sexualized in a way they - and I - would have serious trouble identifying with.
I have not seen Fury Road. I think Charlize Theron is a brilliant actress, but for some reason she doesn't appeal to me. If I don't particularly like a performer, I'll avoid films in which he or she is the lead.
It is well possible my view on this matter is somewhat skewed though. This, of course, stems from my own personal experience comparing perceived privilege of others with my own lack thereof.
I don't quite qualify as a WASP, since I'm Sicilian and Catholic, but ... I am a white male, and so must be at fault for something. ):(
Since I have been starved for any kind of tabletop RPG I would probably hop on and take a look at least. These days it has become taxing to find a group if I don't want to GM myself.
I've been a GM off and on for 38 years. I find that I usually gravitate to the GM spot myself.
I also have no idea who Captain Marvel is so if I get around to it then probably because the Marvel fan in our group really wants me to screen it.
I mentioned CM because she is female.

I am going to bow out of this, now.

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cinematic experiences.

fereality
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Post by fereality » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Well I've been out of DC comics since Nightmare52 happened and Marvel shortly after that. But I really don't have a Favorite Hero, I have a favorite Team.
The Teen Titans. Ever since the Wolfman/Perez run I have been a Titans fan. I tried getting into the Rebirth series but it has flaws (including a enormous one named Damian Wayne).
I'd say my favorite of the favorite is the lineup of Robin (Tim Drake), Superboy (Conner Kent), Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark), Kid Flash (Bart Allen), Cyborg, (Victor Stone), Beast Boy (Garfield Logan), Raven (Rachel Roth), & Starfire (Kori'Ander). Add in some of the later recruits to that version of the team (Red Devil, Blue Beetle III, Ravager, Miss Martian, etc) and you have a great team with and awesome family dynamic.