Trailer - STAR WARS Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Trailer - STAR WARS Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Post by Jpatten » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 am

I realize it may be wishful thinking, but there seems to be the attitude that Abrams is a Real fan of SW and is trying to make up for the CGI first that was the prequels and make it feel more like the original trilogy.

I hope they don't go overboard in "homages" to the originals. I admit, we fought the Fandango crash last night and got tickets for opening night.

On a related topic... What do you make of the fact that Luke has not been seen in the posters, artwork, or trailers yet has second billing on the poster?
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Jpatten wrote:What do you make of the fact that Luke has not been seen in the posters, artwork, or trailers yet has second billing on the poster?
I suspect they're keeping Luke (and his look) as secret as possible.

For any other movie, I'd consider that a mistake as showing even a few seconds of Luke would help bring people into theaters. However, with this movie that's going to happen anyway.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:43 am

And there are rumors! I has them! *L*

*behind a 'possible' spoiler cut for those who do now want to even see speculation*
Spoiler:
Rumor has it that Luke has slipped, or will slip, over to the dark side. This is why we have not seen Hamil. Or maybe we have and that is him behind the black helmet. Who knows?
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:40 am

Quoshara wrote:And there are rumors! I has them! *L*

*behind a 'possible' spoiler cut for those who do now want to even see speculation*
Spoiler:
Rumor has it that Luke has slipped, or will slip, over to the dark side. This is why we have not seen Hamil. Or maybe we have and that is him behind the black helmet. Who knows?
Spoiler:
Wow. While that wouldn't surprise me coming from this director, you have to wonder how many people will feel as if their childhood's been raped. Is it possible to have any heroes who don't eventually have not just a fall, but a plummet from grace (or a retroactive application of synthetic grace)? Must Luke turn to the dark side? Must Greedo fire first? Honestly, my investment in Star Wars is much less profound than Star Trek (from which I take so little joy now after the breakup of my last two relationships three years ago, both of which were with women who love it), so this guy in the chair can't really get to me again ... but I have a feeling that some of those kids who in '77 were mesmerized and whose dreams were inspired for decades afterward are going to leave the theaters at Christmastime hoping that someone puts a hit on JJ Abrams.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:10 pm

NOPE!!

Not watching it. I am in blackout bmode until the movie comes out.

LA LA LA !!!

I can't Hear you!

I CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:28 pm

*snickers*

Yes, hon, we understand completely. *pets* Here... have a cup of hot cocoa with extra fluff and I'll set up your blanket fort.

(Although, I do have to say, that after watching that trailer I still have no idea WHAT the new movie is actually going to be about.)
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:08 am

Quoshara wrote:*snickers*

Yes, hon, we understand completely. *pets* Here... have a cup of hot cocoa with extra fluff and I'll set up your blanket fort.

(Although, I do have to say, that after watching that trailer I still have no idea WHAT the new movie is actually going to be about.)
Blanket fort! Blanket fort!

Well, if they're generating buzz without giving away the story, then they're doing it RIGHT.

But I am still noped out. I want to see them film when I see the film, not see it in dozens of disjointed segements.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:00 am

And here is a version of the trailer being shown in Japan:

-Michael Gray

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoshara wrote:*behind a 'possible' spoiler cut for those who do now want to even see speculation*
Spoiler:
After having thought about this for some while now, I've got some comments...
Spoiler:
1) While I believe Abrams might do this, I seriously doubt Kasdan would. He certainly understands who Luke's character is within the Star Wars mythos.

2) I think Luke is missing from the trailers and from the poster to set up the mindset of "Where is Luke?" and that the search for Luke will be much of the thrust of the movie.

3) I believe Luke is being set up to make his major appearance in Episode VIII, essentially playing the part of Yoda. I suspect he'll be training Rey who it seems to me is playing Luke's part from IV-V-VI. After all, Jedi have to be trained, don't they?
-Michael Gray

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:35 pm

And a new TV spot...

-Michael Gray

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Lionheart » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:27 am

God I want this to succeed, and I'm still trying to put away the butt hurt from them tossing the Expanded Universe aside, but crap it don't look good. I have warned those going with me I may walk out of the theater.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Here are some comments by George Lucas about Star Wars. I'm curious to hear reactions on these.

George Lucas on Why He's Done Directing Star Wars Movies

Why George Lucas steered clear of "Star Wars" sequels

Aside from what I think he's telling us about the direction Disney is going with Star Wars, I find this sad. Whatever someone may think of Lucas concerning the prequel films, this is a man who gave up control of his creation, something obviously very dear to him.
-Michael Gray

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:07 am

One week to go.

Anyone have any final thoughts?
-Michael Gray

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:33 am

I'm looking forward to it. Since I have no expectations, and the last trilogy was so appallingly bad, it likely cannot disappoint me.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 am

Just a reminder...

Please remember to use the spoiler tags to avoid revealing things to those who don't want to find out until they watch the movie. Thanks. 8)
-Michael Gray