Dark and Gritty

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Dark and Gritty

Post by sirus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:22 am

Well, with the recent dark and gritty reboot of Sabrina I find myself wondering. Why dark and gritty? I mean really? I don't get it. Star Trek DSC got that dark and gritty touch. DC got it. Again and again, I see something I used to enjoy brought back and given the dark and gritty treatment. It feels like again and again things I used to like are having the joy sucked out of them and being given back as depressing dark messes.

I can't help but wonder, am I getting older or is this really a thing? Why is it I long for the bright and colorful more and more? My favorite of the Marvel movies was Thor Ragnarok because on some child level it felt like a freaking superhero movie. And that just makes me wonder, why doesn't anything from DC actually feel like a superhero movie? Why does Sabrina need to be dark and gritty to be relevant? Why does so much today seem to have such a heavy focus on the brutal and dark parts of life? Why is it that even Star Trek, the beacon on the hill, falls to this wave of darkness and violence?

Is this just me? I feel like I want the bright stories of the past once more. I wrap myself in the stories of my past and compare them. And what I see is stories used to be fun. They aren't fun anymore.

Does anyone else see this?
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com