Joker - Trailer

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Joker - Trailer

Post by Michael » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 pm

What do you think?
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Joker - Trailer

Post by sirus » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:12 am

Honestly I have been skeptical of this movie ever since it was announced, but this trailer looks pretty good. Mark me down as cautiously optimistic at this point. It looks dark, depressing, and almost a high budget art movie exploring the birth of one of the most legendary characters. This could be the best DC movie, if it's done right. Maybe?
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm

I don't want to see it.
"You think you're pretty smart, don't you, Trebek, what with your Dago mustache and your greasy hair."

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 pm

I truthfully don't know what to make of this.

So far, to date, Jared Leto's Joker from Suicide Squad has been the most Comic Accurate. As good as Heath Ledger's portrayal was in The Dark Knight, the character he was playing was more a weird Joker-Anarky hybrid than any kind of Joker we've seen in comics. Leto's was very much a comic accurate Joker, but people hated how he looked. It didn't bother me.

But this?

I think Phoenix has the overall LOOK for it(though I'm not a big fan of the makeup). But from what I've heard from friends in the industry, the story they're working with is such a far departure from what we know about the Joker, that I just don't know. It LOOKS like it will be a good film, set in an Elseworlds universe... and I hope it is.

But I have to immediately question any film that makes the Joker, the freakin' JOKER, look like the protagonist... the Hero...

He's no Hero. He's no one I should EVER want to identify with or feel sympathy for.

And to be honest, the fact that his origins have always been a mystery is part of the draw... Though, if they end the film with some version of the Killing Joke soliloquy of "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" then, I might be okay with that.