Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

RPG annoyances/pet peeves

Post subject: RPG annoyances/pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 am 
Ensign
Ensign

Alright, I just gotta blow some steam off here, but I'm sure there are some people that agree with me.

So one of my RPG characters is 'dating' this other character. But there are many problems with the way this girl plays:
    1.) Constant spelling/grammer mistakes and punctuation mistakes, it happens every time she posts, she can't even spell her own character's name right.

2.) I can understand once in an appropriate while '.......', but when she does it every other time she posts...it's annoying!

3.) She just posted...only it was apparantly a joint post, but I wasn't informed until she said 'tag' half an hour later...she credited me in the joint post (though I didn't even know about it) and spelled my character's name wrong.

4.) I already quit another simm she was on (I made the mistake of joining it as her husband), so I just told her I was busy and couldn't continue, so now I'm stuck with her until I can figure out how to RPG break-up with someone.

Alright, that's my rant on her. I'm sure that other people have things that some people do that annoy them on RPG's, so tell it here so people can get an idea of what not to do on RPG's.

"One-fifth of the people are against everything all the time."
-Bobby Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:23 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

When the GM takes his position as an opportunity to lord over everyone and uses it as a passive-aggressive means to take out all his real life frustrations on the PCs. :x

One particular incident 20 years ago pretty much ended my participation in RPGs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:45 pm 
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Michael wrote:
When the GM takes his position as an opportunity to lord over everyone and uses it as a passive-aggressive means to take out all his real life frustrations on the PCs. :x

One particular incident 20 years ago pretty much ended my participation in RPGs.

Speaking as a GM with 27 years Seniority, I hearby revoke that guy's GM card. He is excommunicated and shoud turn in his dice to the nearest gaming store immediately.

Jay ~Meow!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:33 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

One would like to think the guy's learned something in the last twenty years.

That's too bad, Michael. I bet you'd be a good roleplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:29 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

JM1776 wrote:
One would like to think the guy's learned something in the last twenty years.

I haven't seen him much since then, but from what I hear, he hasn't.

Quote:
That's too bad, Michael. I bet you'd be a good roleplayer.

Thank you. I think I was an okay roleplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:20 pm 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Security/Marine characters who are Rambo-wannabes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm 
Ensign
Ensign

CaptainKirkFan wrote:
Security/Marine characters who are Rambo-wannabes.

Oh yes, I've experienced that. I was just on one ship that also had the Marine CO claim he was a vampire...he had a pretty good medical reasons behind it, medical experiment gone wrong, but it was still not right in my opinion.

Alright, so that girl I told you about, when I rewrote what I thought the joint post should be and sent it to her, she just answered, "win you do with it I will fix it." What the hell does that even mean? I can't wait to RPG break up with her.

-Bobby Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:17 pm 
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

GM's who have amazingly have something to counteract anything your character has... even if it's a non-standard character.

((And a pretty damn wimpy one with, really, only one power that was decent and had very limited use. Yeesh))

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 am 
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Question: RPG annoyances/pet peeves.

Answer: Here a few of mine list in no particular order.

• The Player who has characters in many different game systems (even a few in the same systems) but they are all virtually the same personality! No stretching there!

• As already stated, the “Rambo” or “Schwarzenegger” character and he usually mirrors the above.

• The Player who must have the physically strongest character – not necessarily the same as the aforementioned two (his characters can be different) but the PC must be the strongest regardless. Why is that?

• The GM/DM/Narrator who runs “his Story.” This is the guy/gal who no matter what the Players do turns the story back to “his story” even if the players have been very creative. I believe the GM should present an outline that the players manipulate into their story. PCs always seem to come up with some angle the GM never thought of regardless of how many possible ‘solutions’ the GM believes. (Hope this entry is making sense).

• DON’T ROLL THE DICE UNITL ASKED: How many have heard this before – GM: “Okay PC1, earlier you stated you wanted to repair the Warp Drive in order to escape the nebula before the Genesis device explodes . . .” PC1, interrupting, “Yeah, I rolled a dramatic success . . .” I think you see me point.

• The “Out-of-Turn” or “I must always be the center of attention and have no down time while the rest of the crew/team plays” GUY.

Guess I might have too many pet peeves. But hey, I have been playing and running for 25+ years so I have a few gripes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:02 pm 
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Justrain, your character could have an affair with another character.

Reason:

1. Could show your character is flawed, and human

2. Would encourage the problem girl to break it off with you

3. Could be the start (after issues were worked out) of a fruitful relationship with another pc, one that may turn out better than the character you're currently involved with

A stretch, but it you may be showing your character has a lot of 'down-to-earth' depth.

What I hate in a tabletop rpg is the constant high rolls some people always get. I like to call people out if I suspect bullshit, and they usually come back with "oh, I meant its a 20 with my buffs." Likely story.
What bugs me further are the people who aren't really a fan of playing, and they feel they were pressure into 'having fun' so they do all the rash stuff; attacking on sight, starting a fight with another pc for entertainment, disappearing right when its their turn to roll, etc.

Another bug, the people who think they know everything about the game, or who always say "well in my campaign that I run..."

*Wookie Roar*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:23 am 
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

As for RPG nerve noodles, I have had the honor of playing with quite a few of them. However, one has to distinguish between online and pen&paper RPG, because quite a few problems are specific.

Online twerps:
    The folks that have omnipotent indestructible characters and just MUST win every fight. Powergamers.
    People who have no sense for spelling, grammar or punctuation. A minor case of this is people who know no formatting. Often they write well but their format is horrible.
    The know-it-alls. So, I want my Klingon to sing the McDonald's jingle in a pink tutu with a pet shark on the arm on top of Mount Seleya right next to Elton John? And I post it to make someone laugh? Oh boy, am I in for a lecture about Klingon culture! And what the hell do I think to have a female Klingon with status? Shame on me!
    People who start a game and then leave.
    People who want to steer the game all by themselves and complain when my characters have their own mind.
    Guys who want to cyber all the time. Girls are just as bad but not as plentiful.
    The worst: Empty posters. So, you see they post a decent amount, have decent spelling, gammar and such, have interesting characters but as soon as you start playing something meaningful, you realize, their posts are void of any sort of meaning. This is especially frustrating because you thought you could actually accomplish something with these people.
    The elitists. They think they're better than most players. I know I sometimes fall into that category. But I never look down on anyone.

Pen & Paper twerps
The worst horror of pen&paper games is to find a GM that is good. So here's a list of GM troubles.
    Those who have favorites among players.
    Those who are unprepared and cannot wing an adventure (I have been known to have that flaw at times).
    Those who must "win" at all times.
    Those who stick to their stories too tightly to see the adventureres aka players take a different route.
    Those who don't understand the system they are playing and keep reading the rules at every roll.
    Those whose adventures are little more than just combat, or the other extreme, nothing but boring politics.
    Those who insist on every rule even if it is silly.
    Those who just love to kill PCs.
    Those who use their position to introduce their own PCs, which are hopelessly overpowered, before a guest GM takes over.

Also, there are a lot of players who can make our lives miserable.
    Those who want extras all the time.
    Those whose brave heroic knight is a chicken. What I mean is fear of taking damage.
    Those without a sense of character. Said knight-chicken allusion for instance. They just don't get that a knight should be brave.
    As previously stated, folks who always play the same person or, worse, themselves.
    The ones who assume command and want to run the game and you get no say whatsoever in what the party does. Usually, I and one or two other players then go rogue :)
    The ones who spend the game in slumber until they are told to do something.
    People who are absent all too often.

Okay this was a short brainstorm :) You don't ever get a perfect group and GM. You will always have all these problems in your group. But the basic thing is the balance. Not every player is an RPG genius and socially adept. In fact, I still have to meet one.

As for my personal pen&paper position, I think I am a decent GM. My stories are skeletons of NPCs who have their own agenda and places where to find them (or not). My adventures move around the player's actions. So they are looking for a murderer? Heck that murderer has found out! Now he works against them! Shucks, they go into the barn where he killed the maiden. Hmm... so he follows them and sets it on fire MUAHAHA! Get out of this one, fools! Of course the players then realize the murderer followed them and ooops, he lost ground rather than winning some. Curses and other honorifics.

As a player, I try very much to stay in character. I like the challenge of playing someone I'm not and someone who's different. I usually play women but have been known to play a few nice guys as well. My online characters usually have more flaws than edges, one even is a collection of flaws with just one minor edge. My starship captain has lost a leg and has been wearing a flawed prosthetic for over a year of real time now because he hasn't had a chance to get to starbase to get it fixed. My most charming male character is homeless. My powerful warrior is haunted by the ghosts of the past and my huge ogre is so dump he thinks he has a pet cow with changing color because he doesn't get that the things keep running away and he finds new ones. The last WoD game I was in I knew from the start we were dealing with Vampires but my C didn't. I acted accordingly to my C's thoughts. That was SO much fun :lol:

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 pm 
Ensign
Ensign

SerynRhone wrote:
Justrain, your character could have an affair with another character.

Reason:

1. Could show your character is flawed, and human

2. Would encourage the problem girl to break it off with you

3. Could be the start (after issues were worked out) of a fruitful relationship with another pc, one that may turn out better than the character you're currently involved with

A stretch, but it you may be showing your character has a lot of 'down-to-earth' depth.

Thanks, but by the time you posted that, that character and my character had broken up. I just PM'd her, "Sorry, but you can't spell and it annoys me." and broke it off. Then I made a new character, to be my original's love interest, but some other character fell for her...kinda let that go so now I'm just saying my original character is dating a civillian.

But thanks, though, I was considering the cheating option.

Another annoyance: Character's that are high in rank but they're extremely young. And also when people get promoted extremely often and for no apparant reason.

-Bobby Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 am 
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

justrain23 wrote:
Another annoyance: Character's that are high in rank but they're extremely young. And also when people get promoted extremely often and for no apparant reason.

Isn't there some sort of Game master or Referee who manages that sort of thing? I mean, it's not like it's a conflict of interest to role play your own character's promotion board.

Jay ~Meow!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:02 pm 
Ensign
Ensign

jayphailey wrote:
justrain23 wrote:

Isn't there some sort of Game master or Referee who manages that sort of thing? I mean, it's not like it's a conflict of interest to role play your own character's promotion board.

Jay ~Meow!~

Oh no, the highest ranked official, in their mid-thirties, is like an Admiral. It doesn't make sense, in my opinion, and it's obvious that there's preferential treatment towards others because people get promoted practically every week, some people back to back weeks. But I stay because of the craziness, I have minor characters, so I don't post much, and just seeing how freaking crazy some of these people are is laughable... :lol:

-Bobby Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 am 
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Location: USS Vanguard NCC-91000 (currently operating in the Florida sector)
GMs that inform you that your character wouldn't do that because it's against Starfleet regulations. In point of fact, my character might just do that to solve the problem and then face the consequences of violating regulations, leading to wonderful drama overload. Fortunately I only had one GM like that. He also made sure any equipment you had at the beginning was taken away or disabled as quickly as possible, instead of finding creative ways to counteract them.

"Ooops... the navigator just told me I'm drifting off subject again. Damn my old thrusters!"

Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó. (As old as the mist and older by two.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next