Login |  Register |  FAQ

Favorite Trek RPG Role?

Post subject: Favorite Trek RPG Role?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 pm 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What are folks' favorite roles for their Trek RPG characters?

I've not played a whole lot, and only two characters anything approaching long term, both Starfleet characters, one Chief Engineer and one Chief Science Officer. Of the two, I think the science officer was the more interesting role, probably because it's a pretty versatile crew position.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Trek RPG Role?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:18 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

I'm usually the captain. I seem to gravitate to the role ... or am elevated by acclaim.

As a matter of fact, that's where Luciano Mantovanni got his start.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 am 
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

I don't really play Trek RPG all that much because most of the time the ranks present on any ship kind of kills the group dynamics.

We had a game that involved a spaceship though. We were three brothers with the same decisive rights on the ship. I was the people person with illusion powers, hubby was the money grubber and a friend was Professor X as a circus performer :)

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

RIP wrote:
I don't really play Trek RPG all that much because most of the time the ranks present on any ship kind of kills the group dynamics.

Such depends entirely on the group itself.

I've found that's usually the case when you're playing with the "You're not gonna tell me what to do!" types: Bohemians don't take well to a hierarchical framework, even when one is necessary and beneficial.

It's possible to strike a balance between command and committee, though ... and it's the GM's responsibility to create scenarios that allow everyone to shine—even those that require more autonomy than is usual in a military rank structure. Game masters who are too heavy-handed, on the other hand, have problems with precisely the issue you addressed, RIP.

[It's always fun to watch someone play a "James Kirk" type that flirts with the edge of insubordination and court martial, all while building his or her legend.]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:50 am 
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

I agree with JM1776 on this one, for all the reasons he mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 am 
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

I like the idea of JM being the Captain. I tried to GM a Sim once....ended in disaster. I don't have the administrative quality needed.

I like to play as Medical types mostly, because I have a minor medical background. If a know a character well enough (he/she is an old character) then they can be a chief. If it is an unknown, brand spanking new character, then I usually play a junior officer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Jacob Williams wrote:
I like the idea of JM being the Captain. I tried to GM a Sim once....ended in disaster. I don't have the administrative quality needed.

If by that you mean you're likely not nearly the asshole I am ... you're likely correct. Captains and DMs both require the A-gene be dominant.

Hell, I have a double-A. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 pm 
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

JM1776 wrote:
Jacob Williams wrote:

If by that you mean you're likely not nearly the asshole I am ... you're likely correct. Captains and DMs both require the A-gene be dominant.

Hell, I have a double-A. :twisted:

There is more to it than that. I am indeed an asshole. Just not one people listen to. On a more positive note, I don't think you are an asshole. (What little I know of you, that is.) You are just direct and humorous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:56 pm 
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Operations. They do a ton more than people realize, and are an excellent source of roleplaying opportunities.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_officer

As opposed to Helm, which really, if you're not having problems flying the ship, you need to be endlessly creative to find something to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:22 am 
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

My fovourite roles is Chief Medical Officer :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 pm 
Commander
Commander

The role I always seem to end up in is that of a Captain. I don't aim to be any higher, a promotion to the admiralty is always out of the question for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:04 pm 
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

The only roles that tend to last for extended periods of time for me seem to be the character in the captain's chair.

However, I've played pretty much all positions at some point, and the XO is a favourite for me, providing that it is the right sim and the CO is a good match for me. Engineering and Security probably come in at some point after that (though I've found that security can be a good challenge to play without going for the bog-standard responses on everything). Least favourite would probably be helm; while there's always plenty that you can do around the ship when you're not at your duty station, the vast majority of bridge JPs for missions tend to be fairly standardised from that position; you usually agree to set a course then put it in motion, unless it's in a battle scene and the CO gives you a fair bit of latitude with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:46 pm 
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Hmmm... I was the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire for several years. *lip twitch* But playing that high up gets to be a drag because, of course, everyone wants to interact/get missions/get orders from you and you wind up doing a lot of freaking administrative type RP (yes, even Klingons do this. *L*) So I stepped down.. the character went back to civilian life and eventually I retired her to play other less important characters that had more fun. *L*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 pm 
Commander
Commander

Quoshara wrote:
But playing that high up gets to be a drag because, of course, everyone wants to interact/get missions/get orders from you and you wind up doing a lot of freaking administrative type RP

All too true. Anyone who role-plays a faction leader or any high ranking character ends up with paperwork. I was once president of a interplanetary republic and it got to the point where I had to resign because it all became too much, requiring a break from RPing completely.

Word of advice to the inexperienced: avoid high positions unless you want the administrative duties it entails. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)