Playing the opposite sex..

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

User avatar
McManus
Banned
Banned
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey - US

Playing the opposite sex..

Post by McManus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 pm

I have noticed that a lot of people (men more than women) play as the opposite sex in many RPGs and Simms. Does anyone here do that? What is your reason behind it?

To me it just seems unnatural to do so. Not in any moral sense or anything stupid like that, I am just saying that to me it would seem increasingly difficult because I have no idea how women think half the time.
Unless otherwise stated all of my images are FREE TO USE. If you plan to use them with the Obsidian Fleet let me know beforehand so that I can make sure it doesn't conflict with someone I am going to use. I make pictures for everyone to enjoy (<-- is that better?)

User avatar
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin
Posts: 4854
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Can't write...I hate this!
Contact:

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Quoshara » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 pm

*shrugs* I go about 50/50 with male/female characters. It just depends on my mood on any given day... and what kind of character I'm playing. And I don't think you have to go too deep into the male/female psyche to RP the opposite sex, you just have to figure out what THIS particular character is like, not the entire sex.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

User avatar
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by JaceRidley » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 pm

I know some guys do it because they "don't want to stare at a dude's ass all day"

Yeah... that's a direct quote.

I play male characters because generally I try and BE that character...

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…


User avatar
Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:34 am
Location: NY

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Captain Marshal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 am

JMaxwell wrote:I play male characters because generally I try and BE that character...


Ditto, RP to me means tuning oneself to that character for the duration of the session. I'm so firmly tied to the first ever RP character I created, it's stuck with me for the past 5 years. Every time I try to RP the opposite gender, people always compare me to my original.

Quo wrote:*shrugs* I go about 50/50 with male/female characters. It just depends on my mood on any given day... and what kind of character I'm playing. And I don't think you have to go too deep into the male/female psyche to RP the opposite sex, you just have to figure out what THIS particular character is like, not the entire sex.


Absolutely. There are times when one may feel more romantic RPing a male/female, more action type guy or superwoman, or whatever suits the fancy. The advantage of RP is allowing oneself to act out and imagine, its a great way to escape the stresses of daily life so if one feels like their boss is a total bitch at work today, they may RP that boss' wife/husband and RP a really bad time for said boss.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13661
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by JM1776 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 am

I do not allow individuals to role-play an opposite sex character in my games until they've demonstrated to me that they're capable of doing so respectfully and convincingly, as opposed to simply creating a caricature—which I've seen all too often, especially when adolescent and young adult males 'portray' a woman ... or, rather, a man with a vagina.

Once I know you've got the chops to carry it off, you're of course free to do as you like.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."


– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

User avatar
sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 am
Location: In a van by the river, stealing your wi-fi

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by sirus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm

I play women more than men, usually because I don't have to think to hard about how a man would react and playing a female forces me to "role play" more. I find it more interesting if I let the character take on a life of their own and not try to put to much of myself into the character. One of the easiest ways for me to do that is to write (I do most of my role plays in online forums) for a different gender.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

User avatar
An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Posts: 5274
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: N.Y.

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:07 am

I play 60% female and 40 % male. It all depends on the character I'm creating and which gender will best suit their core essence.

Most of my male characters are lead by honor, chivalry and a past event in their lives. I said most.
I have played pond scum men too. You know the type.

My female characters have a broader scale of personalities ranging from sweet & innocent to goth chick from Hell.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

User avatar
Ezri
Commander
Commander
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Ezri » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:56 pm

I play women only roles. Since I am a woman, how could I really understand how to be a male?
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

User avatar
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin
Posts: 4854
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Can't write...I hate this!
Contact:

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Quoshara » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 am

Ezri wrote:I play women only roles. Since I am a woman, how could I really understand how to be a male?


The same way you'd role-play a Klingon.. or an Avian or a child. I'll assume you aren't any of those either. :wink:
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

User avatar
Ezri
Commander
Commander
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Ezri » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 am

Quo wrote:
Ezri wrote:I play women only roles. Since I am a woman, how could I really understand how to be a male?


The same way you'd role-play a Klingon.. or an Avian or a child. I'll assume you aren't any of those either. :wink:


I recall being a child, so I could role play a child. I could recall being a female, so I could role play a female Klingon (something I never did). Sure, if I did role play Ezri Dax, I can make a good passing of a female Trill. But, what is really the difference with a Human and a Trill with role play?

Role play as a male, would just have to wing it. Now I would have to play as what I think of a male does. Can think of men after they leave the bathroom, and other stuff but that would make the character look poor.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13661
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by JM1776 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Is it your assertion that no male author has ever written a credible female, or vice versa? Is it your assertion you could never credibly role-play a senior citizen, because you've not reached that age?

One of language's primary purposes is to convey information ... and in many cases, that means experience.

Were you aware that for centuries women in the West were not legally permitted to act, thus all roles were played by men?
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."


– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

User avatar
Chris_Carter
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:40 pm
Location: A small town in Carinthia, Austria

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Chris_Carter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 pm

I used to play only male characters. But as I'm often searching for new challenges, I played around with a lot of different ideas: a vulcan, an ex-fighter pilot security chief, a master chief in starbase security (kind of a Gibbs character), a civilian scientist, etc. And I did the same thing for personal beliefs, attitude to work, commitment, familiy and so on.

And since I'm obviously a bit of a show-off, some day a fellow RPer challenged me on playing a female char. I did it and after a few struggles at first, new members now sometimes assume, I AM a woman. (Maybe I should add: I'm talking about written RP at a bulletin board ;) )

User avatar
Ezri
Commander
Commander
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by Ezri » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:13 am

JM1776 wrote:Is it your assertion that no male author has ever written a credible female, or vice versa? Is it your assertion you could never credibly role-play a senior citizen, because you've not reached that age?

One of language's primary purposes is to convey information ... and in many cases, that means experience.

Were you aware that for centuries women in the West were not legally permitted to act, thus all roles were played by men?


Were not in the 16th century England.

My personal view, I cannot make a credibly role play of a male, because I am not a male. True, I did know a number of males that did role play a woman before. But, I felt they were very limited dealing with their characters as a woman. Most of the time acting more as a male then a woman. Give you an idea, a male that role plays a woman and a male that role plays as a male. Now, have their characters role play with reach other as boyfriend/girlfriend, or man and wife. Now with the male that role plays as a woman, is he really role playing as a woman in a Star Trek role play activity or is he really role play as being a passive male as a woman to another male?
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

User avatar
sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 am
Location: In a van by the river, stealing your wi-fi

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by sirus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 am

Ezri wrote:
JM1776 wrote:Is it your assertion that no male author has ever written a credible female, or vice versa? Is it your assertion you could never credibly role-play a senior citizen, because you've not reached that age?

One of language's primary purposes is to convey information ... and in many cases, that means experience.

Were you aware that for centuries women in the West were not legally permitted to act, thus all roles were played by men?


Were not in the 16th century England.

My personal view, I cannot make a credibly role play of a male, because I am not a male. True, I did know a number of males that did role play a woman before. But, I felt they were very limited dealing with their characters as a woman. Most of the time acting more as a male then a woman. Give you an idea, a male that role plays a woman and a male that role plays as a male. Now, have their characters role play with reach other as boyfriend/girlfriend, or man and wife. Now with the male that role plays as a woman, is he really role playing as a woman in a Star Trek role play activity or is he really role play as being a passive male as a woman to another male?


So that would mean that if a male played a stronger female character he would simply be playing a regular male, only with other body parts.
I must disagree.
As a male, who plays a female in numerous campaigns, I can say that I have never had a problem playing a feminine character or portraying a strong feminine character.
It is true that men and women have different motivators, but once you have those down all you need to do is play a character. I think the biggest problem is that some men see women as something more akin to a purely sexual entity and women are no more sexually based then men.
What I mean is, if you do it smart, playing the opposite gender is no more hard than playing a dog (something I've done before in a game) or being strait and playing a gay man.
That's just how I do it anyway.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13661
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 am

Ezri wrote:My personal view, I cannot make a credibly role play of a male, because I am not a male.


You may not be able to accomplish it, but it most emphatically isn't because you're female. It's some other psychological or pathological limitation that prevents you from doing so, since others have managed such roles surpassingly well.

That in itself utterly refutes your point.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."


– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

Locked