It's Trivia Time Once More!

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.

Re: It's Trivia Time Once More!

Postby JM1776 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 am

Quoshara wrote:... it seems to me their father was Tom (Or is that just because I can't get Tom Hardy off my brain? *L*)

I believe that's Shroedinger (sp

Monitor and the Merrimac.

Only because it's so fun to torment you ... that's no, no, and NO! :[]]

And you were tardy with the Hardy. ):(

Now that that's done ... "Monitor and the Merrimac" is kind of a cool guess, but those two were considered ironclads, and predate the battleship by almost half a century.

Still, like you've heard thousands of times before, no doubt ... I like the way your mind works. 8)
“Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too.” — Tennessee Williams
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JM1776 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Michael: 41
Dancyer McCoy: 35
lafr: 36
ambessalion: 17
Quoshara: 13
stidham: 12

Topic: Potpourri

Remaining unanswered:

3. For four points, who said, "What an artist dies in me"? (Clue: He never owned a violin.)

5. For four points, what famous magician received condemnation from Saint Peter for attempting to purchase the power of the Holy Spirit? For one more, what word did his name inspire? (Michael, you should get both of these.)

6. For five points, who was the last pharaoh of Egypt? (Beware; this one's a trick question.)

7. For two points, what mathematician is more famous in lay circles for his theological "Wager" than his contributions to his discipline? For one more point, what is his first name? (Clue: Said first name should get you all "fired up".)
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby RIP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 am

My guess would've been the last Pharaoh was Cleopatra, because after her the Romans took over...
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.
RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Postby JM1776 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 am

RIP wrote:My guess would've been the last Pharaoh was Cleopatra, because after her the Romans took over...

Cleopatra VII is an excellent and educated guess, but ... it's wrong. Her son, Caesarion, was briefly elevated to pharaoh after his mom's death. Then the Romans offed him.

Like I said, trick question.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JM1776 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 am

Topic: Potpourri

Remaining unanswered:

3. For four points, who said, "What an artist dies in me"? (Clue: He never owned a violin.)

Nero

5. For four points, what famous magician received condemnation from Saint Peter for attempting to purchase the power of the Holy Spirit? For one more, what word did his name inspire? (Michael, you should get both of these.)

Simon Magus, simony

7. For two points, what mathematician is more famous in lay circles for his theological "Wager" than his contributions to his discipline? For one more point, what is his first name? (Clue: Said first name should get you all "fired up".)

Blaise Pascal

Next topic: Women in History
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JM1776 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Topic: Royal Women in History

1. [One point] Which of the Macedonian Ptolemies, alone among those that ruled Egypt, actually bothered to learn the native tongue?

2. [Two points] This woman wed two kings, gave birth to two more, and had as her dowry in both of those marriages the Aquitaine, a fairly valuable piece of real estate. Name her.

3. [Three points] Though the story is thoroughly debunked today, rumors persisted for centuries of a woman who ascended to the Throne of St. Peter, only to be discovered when, to the surprise of onlookers who subsequently killed her, she gave birth. She was "Pope" ____.

4. [Three points] After the death of her husband, a tragedy in which she was rumored to have been instrumental, this Palmyrene rose briefly to rule an empire carved from most of Rome's eastern provinces. Who is this Queen of the Desert?

5. [Four points] According to legend, this Empress delayed the birth of her child by swallowing a stone that she might continue her invasion of Korea.

6. [Five points] Alone among the women of Outremer, this queen capably led as a de facto queen regnant, and became so enamored with power that she refused to give way when her son reached his majority, instead only gradually and reluctantly sharing rulership with him. Name this Crusader Queen.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby Dancyer McCoy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:44 pm

1. [One point] Which of the Macedonian Ptolemies, alone among those that ruled Egypt, actually bothered to learn the native tongue?

Cleopatra (maybe)

2. [Two points] This woman wed two kings, gave birth to two more, and had as her dowry in both of those marriages the Aquitaine, a fairly valuable piece of real estate. Name her.

Eleanor of Aquitaine

3. [Three points] Though the story is thoroughly debunked today, rumors persisted for centuries of a woman who ascended to the Throne of St. Peter, only to be discovered when, to the surprise of onlookers who subsequently killed her, she gave birth. She was "Pope" ____.

Pope Joan
Dancyer
________

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente
Dancyer McCoy
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

Postby JM1776 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 am

Dancyer McCoy: 41

Unanswered questions:

4. [Three points] After the death of her husband, a tragedy in which she was rumored to have been instrumental, this Palmyrene rose briefly to rule an empire carved from most of Rome's eastern provinces. Who is this Queen of the Desert?

5. [Four points] According to legend, this Empress delayed the birth of her child by swallowing a stone that she might continue her invasion of Korea.

6. [Five points] Alone among the women of Outremer, this queen capably led as a de facto queen regnant, and became so enamored with power that she refused to give way when her son reached his majority, instead only gradually and reluctantly sharing rulership with him. Name this Crusader Queen.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JM1776 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Dancyer McCoy: 41

Unanswered questions:

Zenobia

Jingo

Melisande

Next topic: Star Trek Trivia
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby RIP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

What happened to Trek Trivia? :)
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.
RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Postby JM1776 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:02 am

I'll get around to it. :P
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Previous

Return to General Discussion