Just when I get back in...

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Just when I get back in...

Post by sirus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:04 am

After a long time, about 2 years, I decided to give the game another shot. I heard of a number of upgrades and new stuff so why not?

Well, they told me why not. I will do my best to not swear in this.

This Ducking Thing is Really Happening

Now I can live with them making a TOS part of the game, separate from the main part, a couple of TOS levels, I mean we all have a soft spot for TOS and even if we don't it's only a handful of levels. But the main part of STO is set in a very specific post NEM era and I like exploring that era. I like the freedom of new ships and to be honest I like what they did with new TOS ships, some looks like crap, but they all look like TOS ships to me.

I quit the game way back when because I realized that I would never get the ship I want, the NX-Refit, unless I forked over a lot of money and I didn't feel like putting up with that. The games I tend to like to play allow you to play as almost anything or install mods to put the things you want in. A lot of Star Trek games have a healthy mod community (Armada 1 and 2 did back in the day at least). But I didn't feel like dropping the money or going to some shady dealer on some shady site to get my ship.

But now there is this.

DSC has been one of the biggest blows to this fandom in recent years, at least since the JJ verse came about and at least with the JJ verse we could call it an alt-universe or just plain old "non-canon". But DSC insists it is Prime Timeline and thus canon. In my opinion, it is not, but I can still ignore it. I have done pretty well at ignoring it for the most part. When I write Star Trek or think about Star Trek I ignore a number of episodes and a movie, I'm used to it.

But this is not like Threshold or Star Trek V, I would have an issue if there were hyper-evolved human-lizards or "faster than light no left or right" or "space god" at the center of the galaxy introduced into this game.

But for some reason, they are bringing DSC into the game. And I am willing to bet it will mean DSC Klingons in the main game, more DSC bullshit, and a constant reminder that DSC is cancer on my favorite franchise, growing into almost every facet and killing it a bit at a time.

So I need to decide if I even want to play this stupid freaking game or not. I need to know how much of this crap they are adding, and thus far it's not overly clear.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com