TALES OF THE MARSHAL MARTZ: Episode 12 - Size Matters (DONE)

A place to post ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories for the ST: CITADEL shared-universe.

Moderator: Michael

Forum rules
For discussion of ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories of the ST: CITADEL shared-universe. Please observe all requests by thread originators concerning the level of feedback/critique they seek. (11/15/16 - I have received a request to lock this subforum. If there is a desire to unlock it again, please contact me by PM. Thanks. - Michael)
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: TALES OF THE MARSHAL MARTZ: Episode 12 - Size Matters

Post by CamSPD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 pm

I think John was referring to her speech mannerisms. The way I've written Horrusi speech is that I imagine the sentence "normally"---as in how we would say it---then I look at that sentence to see where it can be broken, and how it would best appear in the reversed speech of the species. I also sometimes imagine how I think Yoda would say it, given that that only Horrusi I have written with any regularity is Tattok and he's portrayed by the Grand Master himself.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Exactly.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Since when did I rate being called a Grand Master? \Y/

You did really good with your Horrusi, John. You should be very proud of her. (-o|-)
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:13 pm

I might work up what I had in mind for the captain's chair she uses, if anyone is interested.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, I've always had Tattok just using regular furniture like regular-sized humanoids. I've even had him using a hover-chair once when he lost a leg. It's really more or less up to what kind of ship you're using and your imagination, really. (-o|-)
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, I envision the top cushion of the chair folding down to provide a Horrusi-sized version of the standard captain's chair.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm

There's a fine line between rearranging the order of a sentence and turning it into gibberish. I think you did a very good job with this Horrusi's speech, John. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by CamSPD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 pm

I'd actually like to see how you do the fold-down chair. It makes me think of those fold-down baby seats in some cars.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 pm

That's more or less what I had in mind when I wrote it.

I'll see what I can do. I think I have a Recaro seat mesh to base it on...

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 am

Here's the next installment:
“It should only take about an hour. We’ll have your power back up before you know it.”

“Are you sure, Lieutenant? We’ve got engineers of our own that can do this.”

“Trust me, Corporal, we can do it a lot faster than you can. We won’t even have to open up the walls to do it.”

“Is there a problem here?” Geordi asked from the doorway.

“No, Sir,” Kevin Christner answered, “I’m just having a debate with the Corporal, here.”

“I’m looking for Lt. Christner.”

“That’s me, Commander.”

“Aren’t you a bit young to be a ship’s chief engineer, Cadet?”

“Yes. Yes, I am. But Captain Harris picked me, so I’m not going to argue. What can I do for you, Commander… LaForge, right?”

“That’s right, Mr. Christner. The captains want us to set up a subspace data relay so the ships can use subspace interferometry to increase sensor resolution. I was told you had the parts to power it from the base fusion plant.”

“Yeah, I can do that, Sir. Let me get these nanites going, and then I can help you out.” The cadet tapped a button on the tricorder he held. “Okay, guys. Time to go to work. And Larry, I know how you like reproducing artwork, but they don’t need a microscopic copy of the Sistine Chapel.”

“Aw, Kevin,” a synthesized voice answered from the tricorder, “what’s wrong with making things pretty?”

“Would you rather have some nanites from the Enterprise or Blount Island do it?”

There was a moment of silence from the tricorder. “Okay, okay… Where do you want us?”

“That’s better.” He then knelt down next to an open EPS outlet and held a small canister up to it. “Here you go. Head in there and go to work.”

“We’re on our way,” another synthesized voice answered from the tricorder. “We should be done in about an hour.”

“That’ll work,” Christner answered. “I’ll leave your can here, so you can come back when you’re done.”

Closing the tricorder as he stood up, Christner turned and nodded. “Okay, let’s go set up that relay.”

“You use sentient nanites?” LaForge asked.

“Yeah. We’ve found they tend to be better at dealing with any problems that arise.”

“I never considered that, but I can see the advantages. Let’s go get that relay running.”

“Okay. Corporal, the nanites will come back out here when they’re done. Make sure nobody moves that can, okay?”

“Yes, Sir.”

Christner followed LaForge out of the room.

“Fauxbar, Commander?” the younger engineer asked, offering a small wrapped item.

“Fauxbar?”

“That’s what the nutrition science guys call it. The Intarans kept giving me candy bars, meat snacks, stuff like that, so I had them come up with something that’ll neither fill me up nor provide any nutritional value. It’s basically edible aerogel, but it keeps the locals from trying to fatten me up.”

“Huh,” LaForge said, accepting the fake candy bar, “I’d have never thought of that.”

“Gotcha!” Lt. Commander Tom Bemus cheered two hours later. “Commander, I’ve got two definite Tzenkethi ships heading this way. They’re good. If we were using just our long-range sensors, we’d never have been able to tell them from a couple of Pakled freighters.”

“Pakled freighters?” Thivan asked.

“Those are the IDs they’re squawking, but the power consumption curve is all wrong.”

Thivan thought for a moment. “Troop transports?”

“Possibly. The returns are certainly big enough, though they could be a group of raiders in close formation.”

“Then let’s proceed on that assumption. Advise the captains and stand by yellow alert. How soon will they enter the system?”

“The first one will be about noon tomorrow, ship time.”

“And how soon will our ships be here?”

“Tomorrow morning. Blount Island will be first, followed by Hammersley and Kumari.”

“Okay.” Turning to the marine at tactical, she continued, “Sergeant, advise Admiral Mecum and our four ships of what we’ve found. Full encryption. We don’t want to tip off the Tzenkethi.”

“Aye-aye, Ma’am.”
More to come...
Last edited by AdmiralSirJohn on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

sounds promising!!

what's 'Blount island' in reference to?
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

Wow! Exciting! Time to throw down the gauntlet and kick some Tzenkethi ass!

I only wish that the Ernst Ruska was there to assist. :D

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 am

Blount Island is in Jacksonville, Florida. It's one of the USMC's major supply depots.

And keep watching. Ernst Ruska may not be in this story, but she will be mentioned...

And I'm surprised nobody caught the Phineas and Ferb reference...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 am

Was it the nanites? LOL!

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 am

No, it was Geordi asking "Aren't you a bit young..." and Christner answering, "Yes. Yes, I am."