Relative miltary strengths of the Great Powers in Trek

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Re: Relative miltary strengths of the Great Powers in Trek

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 am

You mean I armor-plated and militarized the Dyson Sphere for the sheer fun of it? Darn!
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:02 am

In Jay-Trek, the Tzinkethi, the Qzin, the Lyrans and the Caitians are all subpecies of "Cat People" most of them are angry and territorial, and "enjoy" a tense peace with the Federation based on the Federation staying away from them.

The exception are the Caitains, who seem to enjoy the humanoid races and seem to be having fun playing "Federation"

it was recently discovered that a minority of cat folk are curious enough to put their xenophobia on hold and travel around, exploring and seeing new things - and that the Caitians have been issuing passports to any cat-folk explorers who promise not to be unduly violent to their Federation friends.

In terms of galactic level politics the Cat folk are not currently major powers, but archaeology seems to suggest that this wasn't always the case...
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I like that, Jay! Mind if I adapt it a little for the CITADEL universe?

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 am

captainuniverse wrote:You mean I armor-plated and militarized the Dyson Sphere for the sheer fun of it? Darn!

a Dyson Sphere doesn't even need armor anyway. its sheer size and volume is its own protection. it will probably take every major ship of ALL THE SPACE FLEETS in the WHOLE GALAXY to have any effect. plus I doubt even a whole solar system has enough material to make the requesite armor needed
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:41 pm

AdmiralSirJohn wrote:I like that, Jay! Mind if I adapt it a little for the CITADEL universe?
No problem. Thank you! I am complimented.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ral
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

Post by Ral » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm

nice insight OP

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Post by Captain Marshal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:52 pm

jayphailey wrote:In terms of galactic level politics the Cat folk are not currently major powers, but archaeology seems to suggest that this wasn't always the case...
Indeed. If we go by Pocket Books or secondary sources for Trek canon, we learn about an Orion Empire millennia prior. We learn about the Shedai (Vanguard series) and the Manraloth (Star Trek: The Buried Age). In thoe prior civilizations weren't primarily humanoid or even bipedal but rather a diverse set of species.

But I do wonder what people have to add about their thoughts to the topic at hand. Perhaps we missed out a major species/civilization?
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

I tend to be uninterested in and unconcerned over developments from either Star Trek: Online or the Pocket Books series, since neither is canonical. There's way too much fan wank and insipid silliness, as well as a blatant disregard for the intent of the original script writers, in both. Benjamin Sisko's return, Ezri Dax's teenage captaincy, The Legion of Doom/Masters of Evil/Typhon Pact, almost every prominent woman on Voyager serving as a Borg Queen, etc. :roll:

Frankly, if people enjoy those works, more power to 'em. They're just not my cup of Earl Grey.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”