Discovery Trailer

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Discovery Trailer

Post by sirus » Sun May 21, 2017 3:43 am

Also, does this take place in the Prime Timeline™ or the Kelvin Timeline™?

I heard a while back that this was supposed to be a Prime Timeline™ thing, but wouldn't that mean that since it is set 10 years before Kirk and Spock that Pike and Spock (and Number One) would be out there? Also, shouldn't it also mean that they already have the TOS color standards?

Or is this the Kelvin Timeline™?

I'm just... I'm honestly lost on this.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

lafr
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by lafr » Sun May 21, 2017 6:37 am

sirus wrote:Also, does this take place in the Prime Timeline™ or the Kelvin Timeline™?

I heard a while back that this was supposed to be a Prime Timeline™ thing, but wouldn't that mean that since it is set 10 years before Kirk and Spock that Pike and Spock (and Number One) would be out there? Also, shouldn't it also mean that they already have the TOS color standards?

Did you trademark the word trademark yet?

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 am

lafr wrote:Did you trademark the word trademark yet?
This actually got me to chuckle. Thanks for that.
"And it feels like I am just too close to love you ...
"... so I'll be on my way."

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Sun May 21, 2017 7:46 am

sirus wrote:Also, does this take place in the Prime Timeline™ or the Kelvin Timeline™?

It's meant to be in the Prime Universe, though the look of everything is far too close to the NuTrek verse.

There are those who bring up the fact that the Kelvin in NuTrek 1 was in the "prime" timeline, though surely even the appearance of the anomaly would've altered the events of the timeline before the ship was destroyed (it would explain why Starfleet had ships of 800 before scaling it back to 200/400-odd). Putting that to the side, that was still 20 years before STD, during which time Starfleet obviously appointed a new head of design who went for far more simplified lines for ship interiors and uniforms, whose impact was felt until the beginning of the 2270s.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

stidham
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by stidham » Wed May 24, 2017 11:48 pm

I feel like I know 'business wise' why they did what they did. They had to make it different enough to avoid be called a rehash and to make it flashy enough for the ADHD generation. I hope they explain the changes; I don't think they will. I want Trek back on TV. I know we live in a different world now, but certain themes are timeless and should be able to be explored regardless of how the world is. Is it too much to ask for your bridge not to look like an apple store and your klingons to look like klingons?
~Dave

"We will find a way or make one."

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 am

stidham wrote:I hope they explain the changes; I don't think they will.
I hope they do as well, even just a throwaway line about who aesthetics on the Constitution-Class are much cleaner, simpler lines.
stidham wrote:Is it too much to ask for your bridge not to look like an apple store and your klingons to look like klingons?
Apparently it is too much to ask for :(
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm

the rumor now is that this will be a third timeline that they're also calling prime sigh
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 am

> FltCpt. Bossco wrote:
> The show will be the final nail in the coffin for Star Trek.

If I had a nickle for every time I heard that, I'd be a rich man today. I've heard it every time they did something new with Star Trek since 1982. There were hard ccore Trek fans bacck in the day that criticized Star Trek II TWOK for recasting Starfleet as "Too militaristic" it violated Gene Roddenberry's vision.

They said it about TNG. New characters and new relationships ruined the Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic which some said wass the heart of Star Trek.

With DS9, they said that it would fail beecause the Mission was "To bodly stay right here and not go anywhere!"

Fans have been crying for 35 years that this thing, that thing or thee other thing is the deeath of Star Trek and whatever they're doing right now is aa betrayal of alll that'ss good and true about Star Trek.

And, given enough time, the new stuff gets folded in and becomes an accepted part of the weird Frankenstein Monster of Star Trek.

And then The Powers That Be try something and the crying starts all over again. Star Trek is dead.

> captainuniverse
> It feels that way. It's activated my depression and I've been struggling over whether or not
> to continue writing my Trek fan fiction.

I'd say, at this point, it makeess it more important to continue to write your fan fic.

You have an internal view of how Trek should be. What it should look like. what Star Trek is for. Why it'ss a good thing.

How else will we see that view unlesss you put it into action in your fanfic? How can we ever get an alternaative view of Star Trek unless someone writes it?

Your view of Trek is unique. No one else sees it exactly like you do. That means You're the keeper of the flame of what makes Star Trek important to you.

Too many people are oveerly occupied with what's "Official" As if only the imprint of officialness can make a thing real.

Star Trek is not real. But because it's imaginaary it can talk abut real things in a way nothing else can.

And because Star Trek is not real. It's fictional.

That means your ideas are just as good and just as valid as any suit wandering around Paramount interfering in things.

Your Trek is just as real as anything they put on TV.

And, if you think the suits have lost the thread (I think they have for years) then it's up to you to show us what Star Trek would look like if it were done "right".

Now is not the time to give up. Now is time to show us what made you fall in love with Star Trek.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

jayphailey wrote:If I had a nickle for every time I heard that, I'd be a rich man today.
This time, though, it seems like there's something to it.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm

IF JJ Abrams didn't kill it, then I doubt Discovery will, too

Also, remember the crying and whining about Enterprise.

-*-

The seriously broken thing about this one is the distribution model.

TV shows are bait to get us to watch commercials. If you hide them behind pay walls, then you lose eyes.

If CBS finds themselves holding two seasons of DSC that no one is coming through the pay wall to see, what will they do?

They'll find other ways to make some money back off it, by releasing it in other venues.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 am

Ok, so I have seen this brought up a number of times and I am going to address it for once. The thing is when TNG came out it brought in new fans. When DS9 came out it brought in new fans. Voyager started losing fans. Enterprise followed the same pattern. The new movies brought a massive uptick in fans, but if Star Trek Beyond's box office is anything to go off of it is clear that the fans left.

And then we get to the big issue. With Star Trek TNG it was about moving forward. With Star Trek DS9 is was about life on the edge. Every Star Trek show launched and told us what it was about up front. Discovery is hiding it's plot from us. The question has to be, why? Instead they have us focusing on the details of inclusiveness and diversity and to be honest that is not enough to sell a lot of people on the idea. This to me feels like the same issue Star Trek Into Darkness had, they kept the big reveal a secret and in the end it hurt the final product.

I feel like Discovery shot itself in the foot when it sunk Axanar and more so when it redesigned everything. Some Trekkies will love it, because it is Star Trek and they love all things Star Trek, but I for one have no hope for the franchise anymore.

I think the idea that this is like the events surrounding the relaunch of the franchise with TNG is inaccurate. TNG came at the heels of a successful movie franchise. The latest movies have not been that successful. Plus the entire budget was paid for by Netflix so they could get international distribution so CBS loses nothing. There is a lot of shady business practises going on here to say the least.

So yeah, given that the box office of Star Trek Beyond killed the newest movie franchise, if this show doesn't work it could kill the franchise as a whole, and it does not look promising.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 am

jayphailey wrote:IF JJ Abrams didn't kill it, then I doubt Discovery will, too.
Opinion noted and respectfully rejected.

I trust my instincts. My instincts tell me the end is near, even nigh.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Just like politics. All we can do is watch and see what happens.

And do our own things with an eye towards being true to our own natures.

"This above all: to thine own self be true."

Get that down and it doesn't matter what TPTB do .

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

jayphailey wrote:The seriously broken thing about this one is the distribution model.

TV shows are bait to get us to watch commercials. If you hide them behind pay walls, then you lose eyes.
I suspect this is the thing most likely to put the show's survival at risk.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 am

Michael wrote: I suspect this is the thing most likely to put the show's survival at risk.
Star Trek dies. But then it comes back. It was good and dead in 1970. You don't get much deader.

But somehow it came back.

It was dead in 2004 when the last episode of Enterprise came out... or which ever year that was.

But it came back.

The idea of people dressed funny on a space ship is too much a part of us. We'll keep coming back to Star Trek.

And there will be things like Babylon 5, Stargate or the upcoming Orville which will be off-brand Star Trek until TPTB pull their heads out.