My current fear for Discovery

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: My current fear for Discovery

Post by sirus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:43 am

Bry_Sinclair wrote:Comparing the Discovery trailers to the Prelude to Axanar short, I know which one I'd want to invest time into. I think everyone can guess which one I'd opt for :D
Why one earth would you compare the Discovery trailers to Prelude to Axanar? I mean one of those was crafted lovingly with actors who gave a damn and a behinds the scenes crew that loved it. One of those flew by so fact when watching it it leaves you breathlessly wanting more. One is a god damn work of art.

The other is trying to get me to pay for CBS AllAccess...
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

spot on sirus
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1960 - SEPTEMBER 22nd

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Lionheart » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:47 pm

sirus wrote:
Bry_Sinclair wrote:Comparing the Discovery trailers to the Prelude to Axanar short, I know which one I'd want to invest time into. I think everyone can guess which one I'd opt for :D
Why one earth would you compare the Discovery trailers to Prelude to Axanar? I mean one of those was crafted lovingly with actors who gave a damn and a behinds the scenes crew that loved it. One of those flew by so fact when watching it it leaves you breathlessly wanting more. One is a god damn work of art.

The other is trying to get me to pay for CBS AllAccess...
\:D/
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:53 am

Ok, so I know it's a lot of rumor, but they were spot on with their reporting of Ghostbusters and it looks like they're spot on again. It does explain a lot about the look and feel of Discovery not matching anything and why we have all these new designs. Not sure, but this could be the reason why Discovery looks so... bad...

ryjuda.deviantart.com

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:16 am

Also I wanted this quote from Seth MacFarlane to say why Orville will be a triumph and Discovery will let us down.
“There is a certain aspirational hopeful optimistic sci-fi that hasn’t really been done in 15-20 years. Star Trek did it for a long time, but then they evolved into something different, so it left open that space for that thing we all used to love so much. That’s what I’m trying to recapture, while at the same time a brand new spin on it with some ingredients that no one has ever seen before.”
Now it seems to me that Star Trek should be the beacon on the hill, a glorious future we could have. I think DS9 showed that we could be human and fail, but in the end it would be that which makes us human that would allow us to triumph. I feel like STD is caught up in this modern method of storytelling in which the world is dark and more brutal. To be honest it feels like the late 60s mind set of dark jaded schlock. But Star Trek when it came out then showed us a future where mankind works together, where compassion is balanced with logic.

Now STD feels like an Anti-Star Trek. It feels like the same bitter schlock Star Trek railed against, at least TOS, and in some regards I feel like even the darkest DS9 got was to show what must be done to protect that beacon, that hope.

Anyway I can't help but compare STD with Orville as both seem to be new Star Trek shows which start this fall. One I am honestly getting excited for, the other I am not.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Well, here they go making their "dark" series fun....

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discove ... confirmed/
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 am

sirus wrote:

Ok, so I know it's a lot of rumor, but they were spot on with their reporting of Ghostbusters and it looks like they're spot on again. It does explain a lot about the look and feel of Discovery not matching anything and why we have all these new designs. Not sure, but this could be the reason why Discovery looks so... bad...
That was pretty interesting and in depth.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Michael wrote:Nah... we save the trial for crimes against Trekdom for topics like the size of the Federation....
"Mikey ... don't make come down there!"
8-[
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 pm

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:14 am

It's odd to me how the Klingons are a sticking point for some people. To me the whole aesthetic of the show is wrong. Nothing looks right, nothing at all. The uniforms, the ships, the aliens, the tools. It all looks wrong to me. And it's easy to point at the Klingons, but to me it is even easier to point to the uniforms. The uniforms have the damn symbol on them like the NuTrek uniforms and while as byt Star Trek Beyond the newer uniforms looked alright, it feels like this design is a massive step back.

But yeah, ENT showed how Klingons went from bumpy foreheads to smooth ones and then sometime between TAS and TMP (2270 and sometime in the early 2270s in canon timeline was, dating TMP is kinda hard). The best guess I have is that the virus was wiped out and the Klingon forehead bumps returned. Out of universe it was always a matter of budget. TOS didn't have it to waste and wasn't that great at prosthetic pieces. TMP had a stupidly big budget and was able to afford to make the Klingons look a lot more alien. From this point on the design seemed to be set in the minds of the fans. Thus for TNG, DS9,and VOY the design was set and could not be changed. And thus when they made ENT they had to use this new design. So ENT then had to explain how this new design became the old design. I think they did an alright job at it.

The problem comes when the reboot came about. Bad Robot did not have the license to use either design used thus far and thus needed a new one. Thus in STiD we got a new odd design. It was not 100% unlike what we had seen before, but it was different.

And now STD doesn't have the rights to any of the Klingon designs and thus had to redesign to them once again. And thus the new look. Now I think most people could act like the STiD Klingons "didn't count" but it seems like the same does not apply here and it all revolves around them saying that this is the "Prime Timeline" once more. This means that it has to be in line with the other shows. This really only gives them 2 options, the Klingons could either have bumpy foreheads or smooth ones. Not having the rights, we got something else.

Would have been better if it weren't a prequel because then they could design things however they want and the fans would wonder if the Klingon virus had mutated or something. It would have been easy to do, but they didn't do it...

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am

I was unaware that STD didn't have the rights to use the proper Klingon look(s). I would've thought that would be included in the package CBS had to make and release new Trek shows. It does beg the question: if you can't use them, why bother? Why not go in a completely different direction and give the series another 'big bad'?

If a Trek series didn't include the Klingons would you be disappointed? Would it make you not watch?
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm

this sums up how utterly fucking retarded these pricks are.

They decide to make a star trek show where they dont have the rights to star trek characters like klingons......is it any wonder people think it will be shit

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:16 am

In all honesty, I can't see Discovery lasting longer than it's first year. The backlash from fans (which should be an automatic and substantial base of viewers) is too polarised and the fact that it's a new pay to view service will put off many casual viewers.

It will be very interesting to see what it's audience numbers is like compared to The Orville (which I am far more interested to watch). Also, it'll be interesting to see what comes from Nicholas Meyer, but seeing all the delays there were with STD I can't see any news about that coming anytime soon.

Since I'm in the UK and already pay for Netflix then I'll watch it when it starts (I can't pass judgement on something I've never seen) but will do so the a NuTrek frame of mind--go in expecting absolute crap so if it is I won't be disappointed, but if it's anything other than that then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 pm

i'm worried that Discovery will be abrams-lite.....with the uniform and klingons, it seems like they're trying to keep as much of the movie stuff as they can.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 pm

They've got some great talent in front of the camera, so long as they're given great stuff to do then they might be able to pull it out of the bag, but when the look and feel of the show starts off in such a fucked up place it has the best damn tv series that has ever been made in order to compensate for the visuals.