STD stole the Tardigrade idea?

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Ronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

STD stole the Tardigrade idea?

Post by Ronin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:17 am

I was looking to see if this topic had been covered yet and I couldn't find it... so I'll post this video and I'll ask the question what do people think?

There is no teacher but the enemy... and no enemy greater than myself...

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: STD stole the Tardigrade idea?

Post by Michael » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm

I have for the most part avoided discussions of Discovery as I haven't been able to see it yet. (Well, more like I'm not going to pay for a service just to see one show. I keep hoping it will show up on Netflix at some point.) However, I remembered this post by Ronin. My initial reaction was, no, they couldn't be that dumb. However, it appears more and more that they very well may have.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/08/t ... ism/67459/

A key point from the article:
For those of you unfamiliar with the case, Tardigrades is a point-and-click adventure game that was announced and submitted onto Steam Greenlight in November of 2014. Tardigrades was later voted through Steam Greenlight back on November 13th, 2015.

On November 2nd, 2015, a year after Tardigrades was announced and barely two weeks before Tardigrades was greenlit, CBS Television Studios announced Star Trek: Discovery, revealing that the show would premiere in January of 2017.

Abdin alleges that CBS stole a number of ideas from his game, including that the giant blue tardigrades used in the game to teleport people across the galaxy are also featured in Star Trek: Discovery as giant blue creatures that power the ability to teleport people across the galaxy.

The similarities don’t end there, as Abdin put together a comparison sheet showing the similarities between both projects.
It appears they not only may have taken the basic idea, but some characters, and other items from the game.

It also seems that the original conception for the tardigrades in Discovery was very different, then changed to be more like the game.

Now that the creator of the game is going to court, I expect CBS to go into intense damage control. Not only may this cost CBS a lot of money, but it may deal a tremendous blow to Star Trek as a property.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:09 am

Yeah, it looks like CBS ripped off the dude and yeah... It's not good...
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Will they now go after The Orville as a distraction?
"And it feels like I am just too close to love you ...
"... so I'll be on my way."