Star Trek: Lower Decks

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by jayphailey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Personally I *really* enjoyed Lower Decks. I found it fun and I love the characters.

I even really enjoyed Badgey in a perverse way.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 am

Jay says it best. It's fun ... particular if you don't take yourself too seriously, as a few regular posters here obviously do.

On to less important matters.
Gazomg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:34 am
there is an error in your post as well.

You made the mistake of thinking I care what you think.
Not quite. I've been experimenting of late with giving another chance to those I summarily dismissed as of no significance years ago.

Case in point.

I'll check back in with you in another couple of years. Perhaps your myriad charms will have ripened to palatability by then.

Hope springs eternal, after all.
"'Well, now that we have seen each other,' said the unicorn, 'if you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.'"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:18 pm

sirus wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 pm
Honestly, I just can't get into it. I just don't give a crap about the story. Maybe it's just me. It's just not what I'm looking for from a Star Trek show. Glad others can enjoy it. I'll just stay hyped for more Orville.
That's interesting because to me, Lower Decks feels like condensed Orville.

Compared to TNG - which is the parent of both shows, both feature flawed characters who occasionally conflict and even occasionally conflict because of their flaws.

The difference is that LD is shorter and by necessity faster and The Orville indulges in the time-honored Trek tradition of hamfisted social commentary.

Each has stories that are entertaining and engaging because of sympathy and empathy with the characters.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:20 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:33 pm
I did confirm, by the way: Star Trek: Lower Decks is canon.
LOL. Oh, hell. As if people didn't have enough to complain about.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm
edit..

why bother

That's a good question. You really don't seem to be enjoying the discussion

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:29 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:21 pm
Gazomg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm
edit..

why bother

That's a good question. You really don't seem to be enjoying the discussion

its a discussion forum, and it was others that were upset with my opinion, when the crying started I thought why bother arguing with supposed grown adults who get their feelings hurt on the internet. because I did not like a cartoon.

I hope that clears things up for you, although I am sure my reply to you will upset others again and will lead to the same "offended people" crying about this too.

wait and see.
by the way Jay, glad you enjoyed it, just wish I had.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,132 - NOVEMBER 28th

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:29 pm
by the way Jay, glad you enjoyed it, just wish I had.

Thank you. I appreciate that. Maybe a different discussion from a different angle will work better.

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:32 am

jayphailey wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:18 pm
That's interesting because to me, Lower Decks feels like condensed Orville.

Compared to TNG - which is the parent of both shows, both feature flawed characters who occasionally conflict and even occasionally conflict because of their flaws.

The difference is that LD is shorter and by necessity faster and The Orville indulges in the time-honored Trek tradition of hamfisted social commentary.

Each has stories that are entertaining and engaging because of sympathy and empathy with the characters.
For me I like the hour format for Trek and I am not big into serialization to the degree modern Trek is. LD seems to be self contained stories, but they are so focused on being "funny" that I feel like they are lacking. I love TAS so I wonder if it is the shorter stories. Honestly I am not certain if I'm not just burnt out on Trek. There was a time when I would call it my favorite show, now I consider it in my top 5 franchises, but I just don't feel as attached. I used to watched every episode of every show. I am pissier about Star Wars, but honestly even that has died down. I'm tired of disliking things.

If you guys like LWD that's great, but I feel like it just isn't for me.

As for Orville, well Orville is Braga Trek. Love it or hate it, it's the same stuff we got in TNG though ENT. It's the same style of story telling and the same style of social commentary, which I feel is better crafted in Orville when compared to shows like DSC and PIC. I liked that ever of Trek, I grew up with it.

Maybe I'm the same sort of idiot who complained when TNG came out and abut how they changed it. Fair enough, TNG wasn't TOS and was a very different sort of show. I grew up with TNG and that era so to me that is what Trek is. Anything that isn't that, isn't Trek. I get why some insist only TOS is "canon" but honestly I am over the idea of canon. I don't need to justify what I like and don't like based off of some arbitrary notion as to what is "really" Trek. I know what I think Trek is. Orville feels like Trek to me a lot more than the new Secret Hideout shows do.

And that's okay. I don't need to cal them crap, even if I do feel they are. They aren't for me. Others enjoy them and that's great. It just means that it's time for me to step aside. I have what I like and I hope the Orville goes on and maybe gets a good spin off. I hope to see both franchises grow.

And, we'll always have the original shows. They are still there and in some cases even HD now, so that's nice. Here's hopig for a blu-ray release of DS9 one of these days.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 am

yep..I really enjoy the orville

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

sirus wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:32 am
And that's okay. I don't need to call them crap, even if I do feel they are.
But with that statement, you're calling them crap.
"'Well, now that we have seen each other,' said the unicorn, 'if you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.'"

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:17 am

JM1776 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am
sirus wrote:
Hey, I said I don't need to call it crap.

I never said I don't want to call it crap.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 am

sirus wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:17 am
JM1776 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am
sirus wrote:
Hey, I said I don't need to call it crap.

I never said I don't want to call it crap.
Which is semantic crap. :[]]

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:46 am

enlighten me, why is is not okay to call something you think is crap "crap".

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:43 am

Gazomg wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:46 am
enlighten me, why is is not okay to call something you think is crap "crap".
I wager enlightening you is beyond even my formidable powers, but ... I'll certainly answer your question.

There's nothing wrong with it—at all.

But sirus wrote, "And that's okay. I don't need to cal[sic] them crap, even if I do feel they are."

There is something wrong with saying or implying you're not going to do it, which sirus does, and then doing it in the very same sentence.

If you can't see that, or why it's problematic, well ... I don't know what else to tell you.

Class dismissed.

At this point, I've lost interest in this, you and the entire subject. If you or he feel the need to have the last word, I bestow the floor upon either or both of you.

I'll not post in this thread again.

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:24 am

I meant it as an irony. I don't need to do something but instead want to. It's a the idea of choosing to do something not out of a need to do it but instead out of the joy of doing it.

But that seems to be the issue. I took this as trivial "verbal jousting", fun little debates that could get heated at times, but still something for fun. I never got the impression there was a problem, but I can see, at this point, I misunderstood things. And with that realization it's not fun anymore, it can't be fun anymore.

I had a conversation with a friend recently and they implied that Star Trek was my favorite show and I found myself correcting them. Star Trek used to be my favorite show. Now all that is here for me is bitterness. I enjoyed arguing here as it kept that passion aflame and as long as I was passionate about Star Trek, it was still alive for me. But at this point I can't do it anymore.

I am tired of everything being so serious. I am tired of the debates and the arguing. I think I'm done with this forum for awhile. I clearly misunderstood my role here and I see no need to fill it anymore.

ryjuda.deviantart.com