TALES OF THE MARSHAL MARTZ: Episode 12 - Size Matters (DONE)

A place to post ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories for the ST: CITADEL shared-universe.

Moderator: Michael

Forum rules
For discussion of ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories of the ST: CITADEL shared-universe. Please observe all requests by thread originators concerning the level of feedback/critique they seek. (11/15/16 - I have received a request to lock this subforum. If there is a desire to unlock it again, please contact me by PM. Thanks. - Michael)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Re: TALES OF THE MARSHAL MARTZ: Episode 12 - Size Matters

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 am

Several of the oldest US forts are built using the same type of plan:

Castillo de San Marcos, in Saint Augustine, FL
Fort Trumbull, in New London, CT
Fort Mifflin, in Philadelphia, PA
Fort Delaware, on Pea Patch Island, DE
Fort McHenry, in Baltimore, MD
Fort Frederick, in Fort Frederick State Park Frederick, MD
Fort Jay, on Governors Island in New York Harbor
Fort Wood, on Liberty Island in New York Harbor
Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain, New York
Fort Crown Point in Crown Point, New York
Fort William Henry in Lake George, New York
Fort Johnston in Leesburg, Virginia
Fort Monroe in Newport News, VA
Fort Stanwix in New York
Fort Ontario in Oswego, New York
Fort Independence on castle Island in Boston Harbor.
Fort Negley in Nashville, Tennessee
Fort Adams in Newport, Rhode Island
Fort Wayne in Detroit, Michigan
Fort Morgan in Mobile, Alabama
Fort Pitt and Fort Duquesne in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Fort Jefferson in Dry Tortugas, Florida
Ninety Six National Historic Site, Star Fort in Ninety Six, South Carolina

Forts of this type are quite common in Europe and several exist in other parts of the world, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_star_forts

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am

Nice work, John.

I like the Intaran flag as well.

Keep it up! :/ :/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 pm

By the way, for those who haven't figured it out, that's the Hammersley landed on the parade ground...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:03 pm

I was wondering about that. I like how you integrated Sea Patrol into your storyline. I've only seen a few episodes on Hulu but it's a pretty good show. :/ :/

Just curious, are you using any of the actors from the show for the crew? Oh, wait, you did, didn't you? Awesome!
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Not in this story, but I have cast Lisa McCune, who plays Lt. Kate McGreggor (HMAS Hammersley's XO) as Lt. Karen Billington, mother of Yeoman Melinda Billington, who is a recurring character in later episodes.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Here's the next installment:
“Entering the Intar system, Captain,” the flight control officer reported from his station at the front of the Blount Island’s bridge. “Planet orbit, four minutes.”

“Assemble your teams, Commander,” Dominic Baier ordered, turning to face M’Rowri.

“Aye, Sir.” The Caitian tapped his commbadge as he turned and entered the turbolift. “All right, you apes! This is a combat drop. Everybody to the transporter rooms! Transporters, beam the teams down as they assemble. Out. Computer, transporter room one, priority.”

Instantly, the turbolift set into motion.

Harris was waiting for him as he materialized on the parade field.

“Commander M’Rowri, I presume.”

“Yes, Sir. You’d be Captain Harris. Some of my apes served with you at Polijarny.”

“Apes?”

“Sorry, Sir. It’s a term of endearment in my unit.”

Harris nodded once. “Very well. Our first priority is defense. We’re going to need shield generators capable of covering farmland and weapons emplacements to defend the cities.”

“Farms?”

“Haven’t you been fully briefed? The Tzenkethi are after the Intaran crops because Intaran food produces a meth reaction.”

“Sir, we prepared to set up a FOB, not protect the whole planet’s agricultural land.”

Harris groaned his frustration. “How many phaser batteries and shield generators do you have ready for installation?”

“A dozen, no more, Captain.”

“Fine. Here’s a list of likely targets, along with maps and power availability breakdowns. Install what you can, and we’ll try to protect the rest with fighters and ships. How soon can you have the emplacements in?”

M’Rowri shook his head. “We can have three of them up within an hour, plugging into the available fusion reactors, but we’ll have to power the rest from something else.”

“Will type 11 shuttlecraft provide enough power?” Harris asked.

“Two shuttles for each location should be enough.”

“I’ll give the orders. Get your people on it.”

“Aye, Sir!”

Three minutes later, M’Rowri and team one materialized in the Chutara District Fusion Power Station.

“Commander!” a large man, wearing a work suit and hardhat called, “I’m Jenar Kan, plant superintendent. We’ve got your adapters installed and ready for you.”

“Good. How much power can you produce?” the engineer asked.

“Twelve gigawatts. We supply the whole district.”

“Okay. Put out a warning to the district to prepare for extended service disruption. We’re going to need everything you can give us to run the defenses.”

“Already done, Commander. The Tzenkethi tried to hit us once before.”

“Very well. OKAY! LET’S GET THESE CONDUITS CONNECTED AND RUN OUT TO THE SHIELD GENERATORS! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!”

“Anything we can do?” Kan asked.

“No, it looks like you’ve done everything you can for now. Just be ready to produce as much power as you can when we give you the word.”

“Understood. How much land will you be able to protect?”

“Not as much as we’d like, that’s for sure.”

“Let’s hope it’s enough.”

“Indeed, Mr. Kan, indeed.”

“I’ll be in the control room if I’m needed. I’m told your commbadge network has been tied into the planetary communications grid.”

“So I’ve been informed. Thank you, Mr. Kan. I’ll let you know when we’re ready.”

As Kan walked off, an enlisted engineer from M’Rowri’s team walked up and handed him a PADD. “These people may be fat, Boss, but they’re efficient. The existing distribution system won’t run the phaser canons, but we should be able to run the shield generators from it.”

“So it seems, Chet. Okay, I want the shield generators here, here and here, and put the phaser cannons here and here.”

“That’s pretty thin coverage, Boss.”

“I know, Chet, but those are our orders. Maximum possible territory with available power.”

“I hear ya, Boss. We’ll start most distant and work our way back. Shouldn’t take more than ten minutes to get each emplacement set.”

“Roger that. Take off.”

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

No comments on this part?

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Sorry, I meant to comment on it. I was giving it a moment of thought.

I think it's great. I can't wait to read it all when it's all combined together as one story. I like the extra ships and characters that you're working in. I really like the inclusion of the Hammersley.

Just one question... where's the Caitian from? The Blount Island? The Kumari or the Hammersley?

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm

He's from the Blount Island. He's the CO of the ship's SCE team.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you for the explanation, John. Just wandering, what class of ship is the Blount Island?

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Dunno. I never really thought about it. It's a construction ship, but that's a type rather than a class. I envision it as a combination of freighter, tug and mobile drydock, specially equipped to build and maintain space stations and automated defense platforms.

For obvious reasons, most of its auxiliary craft would be work bees.

A ship like it probably deployed the MIDAS array in deep space after the Vulcans built it.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 am

It almost sounds like you're describing Kasidy Yates' Xhosa and with some modifications, I could see such a ship as the Blount Island.

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 am

Perhaps she picked up her ship on the Starfleet surplus market...

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 am

After a bit of research, several names come to mind:

Seabee class (an obvious nod to their ancestors)
Ben Moreell class (for the admiral who organized the Seabees after Pearl Harbor)
David Porter class (after the captain of the USS Essex, who was the first to build a US navy base on the west coast)
William C. Davis, Norman M. Smith or William Moffet classes (after the three officers most responsible for the 12th Regiment (Public Works) during WW1)
George McKay, Carl Carlson and Walter Allen classes (one of whom, nobody knows which, coined the term "Construction Battalion")

Personally, I'm leaning toward David Porter class...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I like the David Porter class myself.

"Geronimo!"